xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
LeAnn Rimes My Angel

Amd Plans On Owning 50% Of The Cpu Market By 2015

AMD recently claimed a very bold statement which caused many to give them praise, while others laughed. Their plans are to own 50% of the microprocessor market by 2015. Considering its ten years away, it is an aggressive outlook regardless. Mr. Ruiz claims he sees no reason for AMD to be unable to achieve a market ownership in two to three years. In Q1 of 2005, AMD had 17% ownership. They must double their market share within three years to reach their full goal. For this to be successful, AMD needs partnership with major OEM systems including Dell, HP and Gateway. Over the past several years, AMD has been in favor of a series of victories. Before the "Athlon", AMD had poor performance, cheap prices, and many technical difficulties in their CPUs. Finally, AMD has now offered the Athlon 64 which has taken on Intel's chips in a very aggressive and successful manner. The Operton with HyperTransport architecture is viewed as superior from its technical aspect and chip architecture compared to the Intel's Xeon and older bussed architectures. This surely will start flames everywhere, but some have to consider if AMD is in fact capable of manufacturing marketing level that of Intel, especially when comparing the difference in capital ownership.

my comments:by looking at the way amd has been performing in the recent years i think they should be able to get 50% in 10 years. their processors are more powerful and economical than intel. they were the pioneers in 64bit processors. and hey intel had cancelled their 4ghz chip because they also wanted to concentrate on processing power rather than speed like AMD.

they seem to be holding back a little and therefore I think they can easily take 50% if they wanted to. They were from what I can see probing Intel for the past few years. The Athlon arcitechture is superior to the Pentium as can be seen by the efficiency: Athlon CPUs run at much lower speeds and still challange their Intel counterparts in every front. AMD could probably release faster CPUs and blow the Pentium out of the market but the repercussions from a giant company like Intel can be in giant proportions too, which is probably why they are holding back.