xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shadow

Xbox has 50 gigs?

Well I heard from my friend at school, that the first xbox has a 50 gig hdd. Now thats just a waste, just add it to my computer and put a 20 gig in it if that :rolleyes: . what do you guys think of this? what have you heard about this?

According to the specs on xbox's web site, the new XBOX will come with a 20 Gb hard drive. I am not sure what is in the first one, but I do believe I have heard that it was either 40 or 50 gb as stated.

As I have seen people install Linux on their Xboxes and run large applications I suppose it must have had a large HDD. Some people have put the Xbox hard drives into PCs and they will work. There was a tutorial on the Internet somewhere but I can't find it any more.

I'm not quite sure what you guys are all on about???

The current (original) Xbox only has a 8 Gb hard drive. Although, as eluded to, you can replace the hard drive with a larger one which requires some amount of modification to your Xbox. Note: Modding your Xbox voids your warranty, and also gets into a 'grey area' where it is not condoned by Microsoft and considered illegal. Don't get confused with the 50,000+ blocks of storage that is stated under the Memory menu on your Xbox console (I never learned how many 'blocks' make 1 Gb).

And yes, the Xbox 360 will reportedly be shipped with a 20 Gb hard drive.

I'm not quite sure what you guys are all on about???

The current (original) Xbox only has a 8 Gb hard drive. Although, as eluded to, you can replace the hard drive with a larger one which requires some amount of modification to your Xbox. Note: Modding your Xbox voids your warranty, and also gets into a 'grey area' where it is not condoned by Microsoft and considered illegal. Don't get confused with the 50,000+ blocks of storage that is stated under the Memory menu on your Xbox console (I never learned how many 'blocks' make 1 Gb).

148064[/snapback]

This is correct. Depending on the version of your Xbox you could have an 8, 10, or 12 gig hard drive (so I read in forums), but Microsoft "locks" the hard drive so that you may only use 8 of it. The reason the hard drives may differ is because different companys made the hard drives for each version of Xbox. I would assume they locked the hard drive so that all Xboxes were uniform and had the same 8 gig.

I have no idea how many blocks equal a gig, in fact I have never even went below the 50,000+ mark. I assume this must be more of a warning level or something like that.

I'm glad someone came along and backed me up... :PI do believe the the 50,000+ blocks is just a warning to tell you if you are running out of storage on the Xbox hard drive. I have heard stories of people filling up thier hard drive by ripping music CDs to the Xbox, although it would have to be 'quite a lot' of CDs so I have heard.

Yeah...I always thought the hdd on the Xbox was around 10GB. The only way to fill it up is to rip music unless you mod out your xbox with different hdd's and burners to put entire games on the box. Cause the games don't take up too much room, or the xbox doesn't start counting down until it says 0. Which would be stupid imo.

Well it's nice to know that it's only 8 gigs, I'll let my buddy knowAs for filling up the Hdd, My buddy installed a mod chip with over 150 super nes, super nintendo, etc emulators on it, and it still had space, however, after adding a few more games, the Hdd wass full. So yes, it is easy to fill up an Hdd with the mod chip. However, I have about 31 CDs on my xbox, and it's still registering 50 000+, so you would need alot of CDs to fill it up.Shadow

Even if so you cannot put the Xbox Hard drive into your PC, well u can, but it takes a while. The reason i know this, is beacause i did. And my xbox only has a 5Gb HDD. You have to find the right program to "UnLock" your HDD so windows can read it because it will freeze your comp and probally give it a few bugs u have to fix later (i did). But hey, my xbox is broken now because i soft-modded it, now its a $150 paper-weight. So have fun people!

I knew about the 8 and 10 gig ones but I never heard of them shipping a box with 12 gigs, although due to the cap it doesn't make much difference. I have about 8 or so hours of music on my box and it only takes up around 10,000 blocks. I have read that the Xbox has 600,000 blocks, so it would take quite a bit of music to fill it up, and I have only read of one case of someone filling it up with saves(they said they had over 200 KOTOR saves).

Well it's nice to know that it's only 8 gigs, I'll let my buddy know

As for filling up the Hdd, My buddy installed a mod chip with over 150 super nes, super nintendo, etc emulators on it, and it still had space, however, after adding a few more games, the Hdd wass full. So yes, it is easy to fill up an Hdd with the mod chip. However, I have about 31 CDs on my xbox, and it's still registering 50 000+, so you would need alot of CDs to fill it up.

Shadow

151145[/snapback]

Yes it's easy when you put over 150 games on it LoL, That's alot of games to have sitting there on the xbox. The reason it filled it up cause of the fact that that's like taking all my games for NES, putting my SNES games, and Half my PS1 games and making them xbox readable and then saving them to the hard drive...after that, who needs games LOL