xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Shadow

invision or phpbb? what should i use?

yes invision is a great forum to use, better then phbb.Invision board is great because you can do stuff that you would have never of thought of done on phpbb.like games*, shoutbox*, army sytem* and diffrent levels of post and mods and hosted colours etc.*= you might have to install a file to upload then onto the forum.Invision board is great and i would highly recomend it.Mick

well ...

overall PHPbb is good ,even more then good but IPB is even better

its try that PHPbb has a great community offering loads of mods but IPB as a generic package has most of them(equivalents) included

IPB is safer from security's point of view, it has less "holes"

but if you're about to make a choice between the generic PHPbb and IPB than dont even waist your time of thinking.

IPB is you choice

the default PHPBB is a "naked" package having literally nothing.(this one in available in"scripts in our Cpanel)

I run one of my board on a evaluation of phpbb package dwith good mods and with increased security -->PHPbb by przemo available at http://przemo.org/, but i would have chosen IPB if it had supported my language

btw, u are aware that IPB (trial versions)  are  no longer free to download, right?

dont worry bout this :(

this only applies to the new ver of Invision Power Board VER 2

IPB up to ver1.3 (as the one included in Xisto hosting is still free as long as you wont remove the copyright credits

IPB, many features, better security(though still exploits if not version 2). I'd use IPB. If you have hosting here, ipb is a preinstalled script.PHPbb2 is still nice though. Great alternative choice if ipb is not available.They both have many mods you can find with google. But if you can, use IPB.

Everyone would choose their favorite.but i,m really like IPB.& do not like the PHPBB.You know,phpBB haz lots of skins you can find it on internet,& the style of phpBB is very enjoyed by lots of people.but Before times i got some Security Problem of phpBB.But IPB,s not heard of that.For security & beautiful style is your choice made.:(Best wishes.

Well i have 2 say i do like IB but phpbb is a varry good IB has better Admin Cp then phpbbbut i like the usergrops on phpbb and if u get good skins on phpbb it will be relly goodbut IB has good skins 2 so i have 2 say IB over PhPbb i mean i use them both but IB is good as hell

phpbb is fairly a good forum tool,but i have not know how to use the rank picture in phpbb like invision.how should i do after i download rank picture file where to intall as uploading.

I really recommend Invision Power Board. Sure, phpBB has lots of mods but they are mostly useless. Most of the Invision Power Board mods/hacks are really useful and the standard AdminCP without any mods is better than the phpBB AdminCP WITH mods.Both of them have good skins but the ordinary IPB skin is a thousand times better than the ugly phpBB ordinary skin.They're both better than vBulletin lol...I use MyBBoard(https://mybb.com/). It's also worth a look...

exactly what are the security problems with phpbb? I've been hearing this, but nothing about the actual problems so it'll be helpful if you can elaborate on them. I've just started using phpbb & don't know about these stuff.I wanted to get a popular board, and it was a toss between phpbb & invision. true, invision has powerful features, but I just find the interface ugly...I think vbulletin wins in looks, but haven't looked at it because it costs money.

exactly what are the security problems with phpbb?  I've been hearing this, but nothing about the actual problems so it'll be helpful if you can elaborate on them.  I've just started using phpbb & don't know about these stuff.
I wanted to get a popular board, and it was a toss between phpbb & invision.  true, invision has powerful features, but I just find the interface ugly...

I think vbulletin wins in looks, but haven't looked at it because it costs money.

heh i dont follow the news now bur for example i can brief you on a security exploit of phpbb ver former to 2.0.6:
u could easily gain admin status(and admin rank 1 :) ) by adding sth in your post

dont ask me what
couse im not gonna tell you that

I'm using PhpBB, because it's easyer and I quite like it, but I think that IPB is much better.But choosing a board depends what for you will use it. If you don't have high demands and want just an easy board then choose phpbb, but if you want a really good board then go for ipb!