xisto Community
serverph

Google's "the Summer Of Code" The Deadline is June 14th

google has recently announced "THE SUMMER OF CODE", to wit:

We're very excited to launch our newest initiative, the Summer of Code. This program aims to help students enter into the world of Open Source software development. This Summer, allow Google to help you hone your skills on real problems with real programmers. Return to school with some real experience under your belt and some cash in your wallet. By working with some of the most important organizations and foundations in Open Source we think we've put together a program that benefits Open Source, students and computer science. Read more about it and consider taking part!

https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/2008/?csw=1
hopefully, some members of Xisto may be interested in participating in this endeavour. :rolleyes: deadline for applications is set on June 14, so this gives you much time to think about this. but don't take too long! :lol: isn't this a worthwhile way to spend summer? :) and oh, did i mention there is a $4500 to be awarded for each successful project? and they also promise to get you a t-shirt along with the cash! just the t-shirt alone would be well worth it. heheheĆ¼ :D

some answers to frequently-asked-questions here:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

here's a flyer to help disseminate this info:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

That will be very useful info indeed - the contest sure will motivate me into learning some stuff. I don't think I know enough programming to get into professional s/w development, but I might try anyway; for the fun of it. TopCoder practice rooms keeping me busy for the moment, but I think I can find time to kill. And a t-shirt will be perfect :rolleyes: I think I know a few people who will find this very interesting. Thanks!

I saw a thing about this on G4tv's Attack of the Show. This is definitely a cool thing to do over the summer. Too bad I've never programmed anything, so I probably won't participate.

Very cool! I might actually give this a shot? Is there a certain age you need to be to participate, I'm only 14 (dispite being fluent in VB6, VB.NET, PHP, ASP, J# and C# programming).Seems google really do have an interest in other people.Anyway, screw the 4 grand... i'm in it for the t-shirt****wonders how many people have actually got an authentic google t-shirt****