xisto Community

I started a new website. It'll be called Limelight hockey. So far I haven't uploaded the hockey part of the website. It got deleted with my hard drive when I got a trojen.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I plan on working on the splash page, as soon as I get free time. I'll also like your advice on the images beside the links. (the little blue squares) What should I replace them with or do you think that their fine the way they are?

What about the MakePovertyHistory.org link in the corner. A net buddy of mine asked me to put that up, but I think it's slowing down the site.

Any other suggestions?

I really want to get this site off the ground, so if your interested in afiliating plz email me. or reply.

First of all, you do not necessarily need a splash page. However, a banner on the top of you site would be wonderful. Secondly, i would get rid of the makepovertyhistory.org link at the top since it makes your site appear to be that even though it isnt. Also, i think the blue squares look fine on your page and do not need to be changed. Hopefullt these suggestions will help

Here are my points:

1. Front Page Unless you put something creative on the very first page (small introduction, graphics, important details about the site) when you've finished designing the site then I suggest you get rid of it.

2. Banner In IE6 I was really tempted to scroll up when the page had finished loading because the top of your centre table was placed right at the very top of the page and I felt there should be something else there (a logo, slogan etc). In Firefox it probably looks different so try making it cross-browser compatible and think about what browsers the majority of your visitors will be using

Other than that your site has a clean and consistant layout and the navigation system is right where a user should expect to find it. Well done :rolleyes:

You have put at the bottom of the page that the site is best viewed in Firefox at 1280x1024. If this is true, why is the site only filling about 50% of the screen under those conditions? It just looks too squashed. I also agree that there should be a banner or at least a title of some sort. Another quick point: The table borders show up in IE, but not in FF. Are they meant to be displayed or not?

Actually, the page looks really good in my opinion, I like the header a lot. And the poverty banner looks really cool. Its doing good, keep it up

In Firefox it probably looks different so try making it cross-browser compatible and think about what browsers the majority of your visitors will be using

Well, Firefox users make up part of that majority. The only users I think you can safely ignore these days are people using 4.x browsers. But, yes, you should aim at making your site work in at least IE & a Mozilla-based browser.

I think your design is pretty good - nice & neat. My only criticism would be I think the text of Lime Light doesn't contrast well enough with the background.

Thanks alot guys. I have a few questions. If I delete the index.html page what page would the site automatically goto? I want it to go to the index.php?ll=news page. lol. I also put best viewed in 1024 x 1280 because thats what I use and ill try and make the site look better in what i use. I also agree when you guys say that you think that theyrs something above the banner. to do.- remove make poverty history.- change banner a bit. - some how get rid of broder in IE (not important cuz it looks good both ways)- make a better splash or get rid of it. Also I still need opinons on the little blue squares.

I want it to go to the index.php?ll=news

It won't go to that automatically. You'll have to make index.php (the default page) your news page if you want news to come up first.

I'm sure theres a way with a .htaccess file to set the default page for a folder. The server will pick up index.php, but not with the variable after it. This may work, although I have never done it with a .php page with a variable.

DirectoryIndex index.php?ll=news

Just put that in a file called .htaccess and place that in the root of your site, and see if it works.

I just saw the website myself. Looks nice and clean, but the text was a bit too small to read. Banner looks good, but there's room for improvement. As well, some error messages popped up in the body text area of the page. Might want to take a look at that.

Shiganet, the error messages were pages that they couldn't find. My computer was recently reformatted and I couldn't get anything backed up so I had to re do it all. It was quite a bit. And all the hockey and basketball stuff I had was also deleted so now I need to retype it ALL.

What I did now.

- I changed the banner a bit. Tell me what you think.
- I changed the blue squares to arrows. Tell me what you think.
- I tried chaging the ads by clicksor to grey but couldn't. Can someone help.
- I got it so that http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ goes to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (thanks alot to rvalkass, giving you a rep.)
- Added some more content. lol.