xisto Community
gotcha41

a little help please

I have a question about the statusbar: can we use statusbar-effects on our "Xisto.com"-sites? I've tried to use such an effect on my site but it doesn't seem to work :( Would the cause be me or are statusbar-effects just not an option of Xisto...

Statusbar effects are a part and parcel of html+java. I don't think a host can disable that. Correct me if I am wrong!

Check out my site hosted on Xisto.com: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ or http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

Though not really effects, there are custom messages on the stausbar when you hover on links.

Other scripts also should work. Shall check them and get back to you...

Googlue!

you were right about the fact that the statusbar-effects aren't disabled. I tried another code and that one worked perfectly. But this one doesn't seem to work :)

<!-- START OF SCRIPT -->[br]<!-- For more scripts visit http://http://www.netpedia.com/ -->[br][/br]<script language="JavaScript">[br][/br]<!--[br][/br]/* MjM'S JAVA CODENAME = FLASH[br][/br]   This JavaScript Code was written by MjM for Hyperchat UK[br][/br]   I am not responsible for any damage caused by my code.[br][/br]   This code can be modified as long as the Author's Name is still attached.[br][/br]   [br][/br]   Email : MjM@hyperchat.co.uk[br][/br]   [br][/br]   Š Copyright 1996[br][/br]*/[br][/br]var yourwords = "Welcome to [-GotCha41-] ! ";[br][/br]var speed = 150;[br][/br]var control = 1;[br][/br]function flash()[br][/br]{[br][/br]  if (control == 1)[br][/br]    {[br][/br]      window.status=yourwords;[br][/br]      control=0;[br][/br]    }  [br][/br]  else[br][/br]    {[br][/br]      window.status="";[br][/br]      control=1;[br][/br]    }[br][/br]  setTimeout("flash();",speed);[br][/br]}[br][/br]// -->[br][/br]</script>[br][/br]</HEAD>[br][/br]<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" onload="flash();">[/br]<!--The script causes the flashing text in your browser's[br]status bar.-->[/br]<!-- END OF SCRIPT -->

I'm not so familiar with html or javascript. I got the code from 1st Page 2000, where it works perfectly, but when I copied it to dreamweaver and published it, no effect is visible any more.. I have to paste the code into the head-content, do I?

gotcha41, that code you posted works just fine. maybe just the way you entered
it into your page could be wrong. it's in two parts actually.

the script part: from <script language="JavaScript"> to </script>
- which should go somewhere between your <head> </head> tags.

and the execute part: <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" onload="flash();">
- which goes right immediately after your </head> tag. (see to it that
you have only one body tag). that should work, as you can see from the
complete quote of the html page below i tested it on.

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 4.0">
<meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
<title>New Page 1</title>
<!-- START OF SCRIPT -->
<!-- For more scripts visit http://www.netpedia.com/ -->

<script language="JavaScript">

<!--

/* MjM'S JAVA CODENAME = FLASH

This JavaScript Code was written by MjM for Hyperchat UK

I am not responsible for any damage caused by my code.

This code can be modified as long as the Author's Name is still attached.

Email : MjM@hyperchat.co.uk

Š Copyright 1996

*/

var yourwords = "Welcome to [-GotCha41-] ! ";

var speed = 150;

var control = 1;

function flash()

{

if (control == 1)

{

window.status=yourwords;

control=0;

else

{

window.status="";

control=1;

}

setTimeout("flash();",speed);

}

// -->

</script>

</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" onload="flash();">
<!--The script causes the flashing text in your browser's
status bar.-->
<!-- END OF SCRIPT -->

</body>

</html>

lib2day,Yes you are right.That script works fine now!gotcha, it must be fine with you now? Post here if you have any other problems...

no problem. :) we all start from learning and taking small "steps". :) and later on,you will be ready to tackle larger "steps". we're here to guide you if you ever needour help. cheers! :D

oh btw: what's the point of having "bgcolor=#FFFFFF" -that's white I guess- included in the script? Does it have a specific function or is it just a detail that doesn't effect your site/script/etc..

that's for the background color you want to set up for that page. you canset that to any color. people usually use equivalents (#FFFFFF = white) butyou can use plain color names like white, black, red, blue, etc. it won't affect the script whatsoever if you change it, but it will affect thebackground color of your page. :)

thanks for your explanation but it isn't an answer to what I really wanted to know; why did the maker of the script included the color of the background?! Such a script doesn't require the determination of the backgroundcolor, does it? :) In my opinion it is unlogical that it is included.. Maybe by accident? Anyone an idea?

well gotcha41, my guess is the code's author used that precise code in his/herworking website, and he/she just did a cut & paste from a working page. theimportant thing is it works... and the author somehow expects a person whouses the code to be somewhat familiar with html and its common tags like the<BODY> tag.:) it's just for expediency (on the author's side) that it has been included that way. if they prepared a more detailed explanation and pure code (with no other html elements present), then they may decide to charge for the code. :D and we want it for free, right? beggars can't be choosers. :)

thanks for giving your opinion, wich is really useful, and responding so fast.btw I've voted positive for your 'reputation-thing'. I thought you should now :)

as always, glad to be of service to Xisto co-members. :)
and thanks for a positive rep point. :D