xisto Community
heavensounds

Microsoft Confirmed IE7 Compatible with XP and newer Internet Explorer 7 only for XP

Micrsoft confirmed what we've already expected. The new-coming explorer IE 7 will only be compatible with windows XP and newer. The two reasons why old dinosaurs that still use Windows 2000 and lower won't be able to use the new IE are:

1. state in which is the extended support of Windows 2000

and

2. mostly of technical nature (IE 7 is goin to have a few security updates and imporvements, which bases on the functionality of the new XP SP2 and this is the reason for its incompatibility with other versions of Windows)

Source: Slashdot

Hopefully it won't require SP2 because thus far I have refused to download it. It wreaks havok on my wireless internet among many other things....probably doesn't matter though because so far I'm liking firefox. I just might be converted...

probably doesn't matter though because so far I'm liking firefox. I just might be converted...

The only reason I'd get IE7 would be to test new sites I'm working on but if SP2 is a requirement, that's gonna be a pain in the *bottom*.

Seriously.. If IE had tabbed interface, I would prefer IE than Firefox. Most of the sites dont show up properly on firefox. And the best example is Javascript effects. Check out Xisto forum on IE and Firefox, you will know the diffrence :rolleyes:

Most of the sites dont show up properly on firefox. And the best example is Javascript effects. Check out Xisto forum on IE and Firefox, you will know the diffrence :lol:

That's rubbish. I hardly come across any sites that don't look right in Firefox. And if they don't look right, it's cos the designers/developers haven't done their job right in the first place and created a site that meets current web standards. As for javascript effects, I thought they'd died with the 90s (I certainly hope they have anyway). :rolleyes:

Yes, I really hope that Internet Explorer 7 will actually be a new verison, not just a bunch of security patches thrown together. Something extra that I would like to see would be a built-in skinnable interface; I think that would make a lot of people consider Internet Explorer as their web browser of choice once again. Oh well, only time will tell, we jst gotta keep waiting.AmeriBass

I use FireFox and a browser developed by a friend at the moment and I am happy using them. I have Windows XP Home SP1 and have refused to download SP2 as I have only heard tales of faliure and problems. The main extra feature of the security centre is useless to me as I already have numerous AV and firewall software. Also it supposedly wreaks havok with Norton, which I have installed. Does anyone know any more about this problem?

only what you jsut said ive heard it from a friend that it messes up programs so i still haven't downloaded it. as for norton i really do not like it at all try aVast fire scan it is free but it kicks *bottom*! ( stick with 98se )

those who think that firefox is slow you can improve the speed ... i really dont remember where is the topic but there are a few lines of code to increase the speed if you have broadband and it really works ... im fine with firefox ... i think is easier to use and have more advatanges ... but i still using sometimes IE because some website that manage confidential information dont trust in firefox, mozilla and all that stuffs ... theria arguments "that browsers are not testes for this seciruty level" ... so i think that we'll never get rid off of IE ... lets hope IE 7 bring us a better performance :rolleyes:

Hopefully it won't require SP2 because thus far I have refused to download it. It wreaks havok on my wireless internet among many other things....

146355[/snapback]

I don't know all that much about it, but as far as I understand if you use wireless internet you really should update to SP2 because it enables you to have greater security. especially if you have a home network on a wireless router.

and as far as SP2 interfering with your Firewall, that is because SP2 has a firewall but you can disalble it or adjust the settings accordingly so that it wont interfere. I use Norton, for ex, and my lil manual that comes with it covers how to deal with that...

windows has its problems anyway... I don't see a reason not to update to SP2.

Even if IE had these, I would consider FF since FF fixed many bugs in IE and FF is more secure, fast, and customizable. Also, because IE is made by Microsoft and their products are pretty much in the age of the dinosaurs.