xisto Community
sonyguy

Cyberattacker Could Hold Your Files Hostage

A hacker has apparently found a way to encode computer files and hold them hostage until the intended victim pays for a decoder tool to unlock the files. 
The original infection occurs when the user visits a malicious Web site that exploits a vulnerability in Microsoft's Internet Explorer Web browser, according to San Diego-based Websense, which uncovered the extortion attempt.

"We had a report from the field, but [we] do not divulge what our source for that is," said Dan Hubbard, senior director of security and research at Websense. "What happened was after doing some forensics on the actual computer that was infected, we noticed that the user visited a Web site that has since been shut down. And the site, through an Internet Explorer vulnerability, downloaded some code onto the machine and ran it without user intervention."

Hubbard said the sole purpose of the infection was to go to a second Web site and download anoth...

You can read the full story here

Well, I use firefox, so I shouldn't be in too much danger from this, besides it's probably not going to be that common.

It seems that this is just pointless, because if you read the full story, it says that when it's finished, it deletes itself and leaves behind a text file with some information on how to change your files back to normal. $200 for it to happen though!

What do you think? Is this just a dumb way of trying to make some money, although you probably would make alot, seeing that there are some dummies out there...

i just using mozilla... i have heard this news on newspaper..sometime right now on cyber so unsafe..i suggested we all use linux system..i hink de_bian..is verys good

I think the main concern is to keep an eye on our host files, since the majority of us use a Windows-based operating system.I would recommend anyone that uses Internet Explorer still, to switch over to Mozilla Firefox as soon as possible, to prevent ActiveX scripts from running on your computer.If people still need Internet Explorer for whichever reason, you should have good knowledge of what ActiveX scripts to accept onto your computer.I wouldnt say that this is a vlunerability for Internet Explorer, because it is up to the end user to accept any ActiveX scripts to run on your own computer. You do so at your own risk, and you never know what that script might do to your computer.

heres an idea pay attention where you are going on the net then you won't have a problem