xisto Community
Reaver

Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo The Differences Between The Leading Voice Chat Programs

TeamSpeak 2 Vs Ventrilo  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Main Reason for this post is to decide the popularity of the voice programs.
Since i currently host both a Teamspeak server and Ventrilo server and am currently in the process of creating a website for my supporters.

I would like your opinions as to which is the better program and why you think it is, since i will be basing these results on which Server i keep and provide statistics for on the website. For those that have not heard of these programs i will include a short description of each program and the websites they can be found at.

TeamSpeak

# Optimal bandwidth usage with codecs ranging from CELP 5.1Kbit to GSM 16.4Kbit to Speex 25.9Kbit for optimal voice clarity
# Local addressbook allows you to connect quickly to your favorite servers
# Webserver list allows you to find TeamSpeak servers without their IP
# Channel and subchannel creation
# Client is designed to work well with firewalls and routers
# Passworded servers and channels
# Completely configurable keybindings (hotkeys) to quickly join specified channels, mute your microphone, etc.
# Whisper functions so you can speak privately to inidividuals, groups of persons, or other channels
# Auto voice normalizing (no need to adjust your mic manually)
# Supports Microsoft Gamevoice hardware
# Windows/Linux server
# Windows/Linux client
# Text messaging in the client
# Seemless optoinal MySQL integration, allowing you to customize your server database
# Minimal CPU and RAM requirements
# Given bandwidth requirements are met, servers can easily handle thousands of users

Ventrilo

# Cross channel communications.
# User-to-user private conversations.
# Individual channels that can be created dynamically.
# Sub channels.
# Muted channels.
# Queued channels.
# Password protected server login and channels.
# Advanced channel control options and filters.
# Text-to-speech (TTS) voice generation.
# Key binding to execute special program functions, play wave files, send TTS messages.
# Separate phonetic spelling of user and channel names for proper TTS.
# Built in chat similar to IRC.
# Users can enter dynamic comments for all other users to see.
# User assigned names for server connections. No need to remember IP numbers.
# Multiple platform support for servers.
# Servers are now ready and supported on 64bit platforms.
# Ability to restrict server admin features. Useful for hosting services.
# Server specified codec's to control voice quality and bandwidth usage.

Enjoy the programs as much as i do and your responses are much appreciated

Reaver

I would choose Teamspeak any day, mainly because I have used it in the past, and I have a clear understanding how it works. And it has an extensive permissions feature, which I can limit of what my Admin's can and cant do.

Teamspeak 2 is much better than Ventrilo. Ventrilo was a bit better than Teamspeak 1 but Teamspeak 2 is better than Ventrilo. because the connection is better and the registration is also a think i think which will be used in the future.

I must pick Teamspeak hands down. I use it for playing with online team game's like call of duty. With teamspeak it seems alot more clearer and the system i find is easier to use. Teamspeak is easier to set up aswell.

Hey man. Keep up using Teamspeak and delete Ventrilo from your system. Teamspeak is really better it is faster uses less computer resources and many more reasons. It is just great while Ventrilo is more like :) nothing special. Any serious games in fps will use Teamspeak while Ventrilo made its success in the warcraft community and it is not better for certain check out the pole.

Teamspeak vs Ventrilo

Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo

The biggest trait goes to... Teamspeak!

You see, it's loyalty to the first use of teamspeak...

People know what teamspeak, it's what they preference...

They choose it because they trust is and it's more popular...

If you had a clan leader using ventrilo and a recruit joined with his new teamspeak server...

I bet you the clan would be using the Teamspeak server!

And by golly, I've seen more free teamspeak servers than ventrilo... What did I say about popularity?

-reply by Game-Emeralds.Com

Ventrilo by far

Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo

The problem with teamspeak is the application runs a higher process but is more "user friendly" so to speak but ventrilo is a small app that runs solely in the background and gives you the best clearity ive yet to see it all also depends on use for both .Exe's if you prefer just chat then yes teamspeak but if your a gamer or your pc isnt the best deffinately ventrilo ugt servers are the best by the way but your choice is yours you also have more options for ventrilo in the sense of user customization like you can put special settings for different users to loud to quite kind of thing

-reply by Bodyort

Ventrilo for Quality, TS for clans/guild that require it

Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo

I used to play an FPS in a clan with a Teamspeak server for about 2-3 months. I always found it hard to hear people, and when I would mention this they would say "turn up your speakers." Truth be told I usually wear headphones, and if I can't hear you at that point, its not because of my "speakers." The voice quality made me strain to hear certain clanmembers over TS.

I joined a different game and a guild that used a Ventrilo server. I noticed the difference in sound quality immediately. The codecs used were about the same quality and bandwidth but Vent sounded like a phone call or a recorded .WAV

Vent handsdown has better quality over given codecs.

-reply by Jeremy7600

Teamspeak or Ventrilo -- IDK?!

Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo

I like Teamspeak because it's simple and easy to set up. It took me about 1 minute to correctly forward my ports to allow the server through. I haven't tried Ventrilo yet, but after seeing those Ventrilo Harassment videos on youtube, I'm definitely going to try it out.

Oh, and if you want to try to join my Teamspeak server, please email cs.Simpson Hotmail.Com

-reply by Xikkub

Ventrilo

Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo

I have used both Teamspeak 2 and Ventrilo. Personally I don't care much for the standalone functionality of Teamspeak. There might be a higher popularity with the appeal of Teamspeak over Ventrilo. I think Ventrilo does look crappy but if they gave it a nice layout like Teamspeak has its performance would go down due to memory usage.I am looking for the most lightweight voice program that has the best quality. I will stick to my Ventrilo. Oh and All your base are belong to us. K thx.

-reply by Trembling

TeamSpeak vs. Ventrilo

Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo

Even though its been a while since anyone has posted on this thread. I figured id throw my 2 cents in (since I did a search, found this page, prolly means someone else will find it later on down the road).

I run TeamSpeak & Ventrilo both. Our clan uses Ventrilo for Primary voice communications, and TeamSpeak as seconday/back-up comms.

If you want a real quick over-view as too which one to use, well here you go.

Ventrilo:

Pro's:

Great sound quality

Easy to create channels & setup users

Integrated chat room, users can post comments / urls with easy access

Admin side is realy simple to work with

Users can post global & private messages

Cons:

$$$$$$

If you want to run your own "Private" Ventrilo server, it has a max. Cap of only 8 connections. (Only 8 people can be connected at a time), If you want more, you have to "rent" a server from a hosting company, OR work for a large company that is willing to buy a min. Of 1000 slots. (According to Vents web site, you have have to submit proof that your company exists).

TeamsSpeak 2:

Pros:

Very little bandwidth / memory / processor usage

Web Based Server Admin config tool

Very easy to add new members and assign admin rights

Simple to create channels and sub-channels

Users can post global & private messages

Cons:

Voice quality is a LITTLE less than Ventrilo.

Doesn't have Channel / User Phonetic's --

--(doesn't say the users name when they login unlike Ventrilo)

Doesn't have the integrated chat room like Ventrio

Doesn't have cross channel transmitting

Server Side Pro's / Cons:

Ventrilo pros:

Easy to install

Easy to configure

Able to be added as a Service

Cons:

Capped out at 8 connections max.

TeamsSpeak:

Pros:

Has a very useful Admin Web interface (in-case your server gets hacked)

Very little system usage

Cons:

Does not come with a "Service" installer. You have to manually run the server program each time. *Or, you can do what I did, and do a google search on how to "Create a service in windows", in which case, it takes about 3 minutes to setup TeamSpeak to work as a service. Not really sure why they didnt include a service installer...But whatever.

Processor / Memory / Bandwidth Usage:

I just want to put this out there, I don't care what you read or where you read it at. The programs themselves use very little system processing power. It depends on what settings you have the programs set at, the computer your running them on, and the internet thats available. The higher the voice quality, the more power its going to take for the computer to process everyone talking.

If you are wanting to run a server from your house using a cable modem or dsl connection, your going to run in to lag *sounds choppy when people talk*. The more people you have connected to your server, the more internet bandwidth your going to use. If its just you and a friend talking it wont be so bad, if its you and a friend talking well your playing an on-line game, you may start to hear your friend breaking up a little bit. The more people in your server, and the more stuff your internet is doing, the more choppy its going to get. Doesn't matter which program you use, there both going to do the same thing.

If you want to try and run a server, heres a word of advice.

1) Get a dedicated computer with nothing installed on it but either TeamSpeak or Ventrilo.

2) Make sure the computer meets the min. Requirments to run that program.

(If thers going to be lots of people, don't use the min. Requirements, up it to the recemendend at least)

3). MAKE SURE YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION HAS A HIGH UPLOAD SPEED (NOT DOWNLOAD.) 1.5mb through a cable modem means roughly 400kbs in real life. This is NOT going to work with when you get over 3 people connected and you start playing games online...

Alright, I'm tired of typing, hope this info was useful to someone out there.

Peace.

-reply by Cyberspy

Teamspeak or Ventrilo - or GameStreet Talk?Teamspeak 2 Vs Ventrilo

Have you guys considered GameStreet talk as an alternative to these? Its relatively new and does not require a server to host. Its hosted by http://www.gamestreet.net/ for free and allows any user to create their own channels and invite the friends, or guilds to create their own channels that they members can use. It may be worth a look. 

-reply by Aaron