xisto Community
ejohn

Wowexec is this a virus

i have this program which loads a long time after my system has booted. it eats up a lot of resources and closes all kinds of windows applications. ctrl+alt+del dosent work once it starts, i had to use other process managers to find what all programs where running. on searching for i get an impresion that this is valid windows file whereas there seems to be some mutant versions also. i tried deleting the files but astonishingly they reappear right in front of our eyes. within seconds another copy of the deleted files appear! :-| i have f - secure antivirus which dosen't pick it up. has anybody here experienced the same problems? any solutions.

umm,does msconfig work normally now?if works,you should check out the virus(maybe some program you haven't seen before and end with .exe) at the option setup.write down its name then boot your pc from safe mode.type regedt32 in run window to open register editor tool and hit the key F3 ,then will pop a find window.type the name to find it in register and delete all of them.look out,you must find all the virus by find window.it is good and avilable way to delete virus completely.

This is a description of wowexec.exe.

According to the site, it handles 16-bit processes. I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject, but it seems to me that you must be using some old 16-bit programs which keep calling up this program. Are you using any 16-bit programs?

i am not using any 16bit applications. msconfig is also missing. after some time on the net i get lass application error and soon afterwards a system message saying the computer will restart in 60 seconds. thanks for your replies guys. but i think the easiest way out is to format the computer. do you guys have any better ideas??

it is really not serious to format your disk ,guy.you should deal with from the safe mode.from the msconfig of safe mode you must see the virus wowexec.exe and delete it by regedit.do you master this way?if in safe mode,the pc is still obliged to restart after 60s,you should type shutdown.exe -a.then your pc will not down,you can delete the virus from regedit later.

Wow.......thanks hulunes for that info. You know, this kinda thing has happened to my comp before and I thought that it has contacted a virus. After running my antivirus (I am using AVG Pro) a number of times and the thing asnt able to detect the problem, I has to copy all my important files and folders to another partition inmy harddrive and then format the the C:\ drive.It can be quite frustrating and irritating when something like this happens to you.

ohhh,wait...i just type too fast.shutdown.exe -a should be typed in run windows when the box saying pc will be down after 60.good luck have a try... :rolleyes:

i deleted all refrences to wowexec.exe from the registry. but apparently (from info i got when i searched from google) it manifests itself in lot of filenames, most of which i have deleted. what i want to know is how can tinkering in the registry bring back all the lost windows files. is there anyway i can restore them without reinstalling?

umm,just depend on what kind of system files you lost.if very important which lead to not setup normally.you must reinstall or recovery your os.on the other hand,if the file which broken by virus is common file,you could ignore it.usually before windows NT series,we could copy the file from the compressed backup CD or system CD.but in windows xp time,it is hard to copy like that,because there exit too many format of compress file like zip,cab.for that,the relative grammar to come out to copy them.the most trouble is that you should find the file you lost from 7,000 compressed files.too trouble...

I wouldnt recommend restoring any files from the Windows XP cd rom, mainly because you are replacing the files with older version of files from the CD rom. Its not a good practise to run 2 different versions of system files.I would just reformat, and that would make it easier in the long run.

there is no way i am ever going to know which all files have been lost! each file has to be manully restored so its out of the question. btw i have already formatted. but do you

hulunes

or anybody here know of any program which monitors which all softwares are accessing the internet. i dont want any more trojans in my system :rolleyes:

any program which monitors which all softwares are accessing the internet. i dont want any more trojans in my system

umm,do you try some monitors offered by Anivirus software...maybe i could not help you,because there are many good software which can monitor virus and trojans easily,but only support for chinese version called SKYNET.really it is the best software in anivirus better than any anivirus in China.i think you should seach this king of software in google,or SKYNET :rolleyes: (maybe it support English version)...good luck.

i already have f-secure installed which apparently is very good. what i want to know is, is there any small utility software which shows me which all programs on my computer are accessing the internet. this way i can know if any trojan like activity is going on.

I use Sygate Firewall. It pops up a window whenever something unapproved is trying to access the internet. The personal version is free.