xisto Community
sunkist

301 Redirect

Hi:I hope somebody is able to help me with this one.I use to have my site on a different server. It was also free. But they had advertisements and I wasn't able to use my own domain name. So I moved my site to Trap 17. The problem is, I got traffic to the old site, and have good search engine rankings with the old URL. How do I do a 301 redirect? Does anybody have a tutorial they could point me to?Also, part of the problem, the other host did not offer many advanced features as trap 17. So I don't even know if a 301 redirect will be possible.Thanks.Sunkist

Hey sunkist!You can easily do a 301 redirect by going to your another host cPanel (if its available), then go to Manage Redirects.Choose "Permanent Redirect" and supply your new URL that's hosted here in Xisto.If in your another host you dont have access to cPanel you'll need to look in your FTP client if there's a file called: .htaccessIf yes open it with wordpad and add this line:RedirectMatch permanent "Your old URL" "Your new Xisto URL (with http://)Don't forget to take the "" off. I hope i helped you. :lol: