xisto Community
xboxrulz

Linux: I Finally Got Alsa And Arts Co-operate Properly Run aRts, ALSA and OSS applications all @ once

Hey all! After 3 months of research, reconfiguration and all that, I finally found a way to get aRts application working with ALSA applications all at the same time, and no more hassles of closing 1 program after another.Here are the steps:1)Get the latest version of ALSA and aRts.2)Configure aRts so that it works on top of ALSA. Since ALSA thinks that artsd is just an application, it will just get the sound as if it was any other ALSA apps.3)Make sure mmap is OFF and in aRts, do NOT enable network sounds.4) For OSS apps, configure them to use aoss so every program you run can use multi-threadingAfter everystep is done, run an ALSA app and an aRts app and see if they really do work together. If not, just post back here and I'll try to help you.xboxrulz

Wow... I didn't know that was even possible. Have you seen http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ ? I have no clue whether the patch for the aRts, ALSA, and ESD backends became standard, but I think this would be partially responsible for your phenomenal integration if it was.