xisto Community
Fun4TheMoney

Paypal Scam Warning! New email attempt to hack your account

I've been getting those stupid scam emails for years, where they tell you to update your security info. I hope EVERYBODY knows those are a scam and NEVER click through. The proper response is to forward them to SPOOF@PAYPAL.COM, then delete the message without going to the site.Now there's a new one--at least this is the first time I've gotten one. This time they tell you that you've added a new email address and they want you to confirm. Again, the answer is to forward to SPOOF@PAYPAL.COM without clicking through or going to that site, then delete the email.If you have any concerns about your account, go straight to PayPal the way you always do. NEVER follow an email link to get there. These people are really good at what they do, and what they do is steal account passwords from unsuspecting members. I know most of you are aware of these scams, but I've read several posts from younger members, talking about applying for a PayPal account. Unfortunately, most people don't read the warnings until it's too late.Rest assured that none of this compromises PayPal security. Your PayPal account is safe unless YOU fall for one of these scams. PayPal will NEVER ask for your password in an email or give out that info to anyone else.Suz

I've been getting lots of those kind of emails too, and ones from ebay as well, but I don't even have account there, so that doesn't make much sense to me. I think they must be scam and hope that I just have an account and give my information away.If I do click through on an accident, does that mean they have my information so they can steal my account if I have one? I didn't know places could do that. But you are right, these people are probably all really good at what they do, and it is easy to be fooled now.I hope that they get caught before someone is fooled by them and loses a lot.

If I do click through on an accident, does that mean they have my information so they can steal my account if I have one? I didn't know places could do that. But you are right, these people are probably all really good at what they do, and it is easy to be fooled now.

I don't know the answer to that, so I don't take any chances. All I do is forward and delete.

eBay works the same way. Send to SPOOF@EBAY.COM and delete. It doesn't matter if you have an eBay account or not. You'll be doing your part by turning the creeps in.

Suz

I don't know the answer to that, so I don't take any chances. All I do is forward and delete.

eBay works the same way. Send to SPOOF@EBAY.COM and delete. It doesn't matter if you have an eBay account or not. You'll be doing your part by turning the creeps in.

Suz

143417[/snapback]

Okay, it's good to know where to send these. Thanks for the addresses. I'll be sure to just forward and delete them when I do get another one in my inbox.

What i dont get is how they can use the host --ebay & paypal--In their email address , i can understand how they rip the websites etc to get it looking like the real thing,but how :lol: do they get the .paypal.com or paypal.com/or even @paypal.com :(

Ive had this email and other that you havent mentioned. (Well my dad has im not wuite old enough to use paypal lol) He had the one you are describing about a month ago. He also hs another about a week ago telling him his acount on Ebay was to be shut down permenantly unless he filled in an online form that asked him for the password and his username. Please be aware of these scams. There are very clever evil people out there that will do anything to scam the law aboding people like you and I. Dont be a victim!

Just remeber that PayPal and Ebay always address you by your first and last name, so if an email says: "Dear PayPal member," Or "Dear eBay customer", don't even bother with it, and report it to spoof@paypal.com/ebay.com

the problem is why the scams got our paypal Email.that' coz we should give it to the world so that we could receive money,(as a webmaster)how solve the problem,i suggested paypal should not use "email" (the real paypal owner) as a paypal accountbut use "ID" as a paypal account, then everyone could receive or transfer the money to other paypal with their paypal "ID".do you know what i'm meaning?

Always remember to check the domain of the email address that claims to be from paypal. Of course I don't use Paypal now, so I just delete anything that has Paypal in the title or report for phishing. But it's actually quite easy to tell whether it's a scam or not. It just takes a little bit more time to take a look at the email add.

Oh boy, if you think Paypal and Ebay scams are bad, you should try selling puppies on line! I am constantly bombarded with offers to send me a check that is more than the purchase price and they want me to forward the balance to them via Western Union. I really don't see how they could ever do any good with those, they are so obviously scams, they answer internet ads but rarely take the time to make a decent looking email, it will read something like "I would like to buy your (puppy) please email me asking price and current condition" they don't even bother to take the parenthisese out of their copy/paste form letter, they could send this to anyone selling anything, a car, boat, horse, whatever, if they had sense enough to change the word, but most of the time they don't bother. It seems to me that if you are going to try to be a con artist, you would have to be smarter than the people you are trying to con, and believe me, these people don't have a clue! The flip side to this con is the one where they are trying to sell you something. Always be leary of anyone offering a puppy for a riduculously low cost. English Bulldogs and Yorkshire terriers are the most common breeds used in these scams. This is due to the normally high cost of either of these breeds, and the popularity. The con artist offers the purchaser a pup for very low fee, usually $200-300 and they are playing on the nature of cheapskates who have always wanted one of the affor mentioned breeds but couldn't afford the normal sticker price. Bulldogs generally sell for well over $1,000, to $2,000 and most quality yorkies are $1,000 or even more. (in some cases, the larger type Yorkies will sell for much less, but certainly not $300) So always exercise caution when buying/selling online. Just use a little common sense, and remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I have received emails from Paypal asking for my information when I do not even have Paypal. I normally just ignore these or delete them. I have never heard of the emails for spoofing but most of the time the emails are listed all over on sites telling of emails and sites so as long as people check those out most of the time you will be safe. Checking who the sender is also works because most of the time there is a small difference in the domain.

Indeed, I have also been getting similar emails.I have also gotten emails from eBay, asking me to purchase an item that "I have previously bidded on" which, was obviously not true.Most of these "offers" seem to be cell phones.Of course, Beware.

I usually never open websites through email, for these kind of security reasons. It is getting harder to identify these spoof emails, every time they send a new one they keep on getting better and better and people keep on falling for their traps. Thats why when I receive one of these emails I go to the webpage on my own instead of using the links in the email.

i am also receiving a lot of spam/scam emails regarding my paypal account..but luckily google mail knows how to put them on the spam folder..i you use mozilla firefox 3, you can see a green button showing extended validation if you go to paypal.com.. that way you can determined of you are spoofed or not..be safe!