xisto Community
moldboy

Light Linux I need one

Hello I am looking at packeging a linux distro to a live cd with my own tools. And was wondering where I could find a distro that was under 50 megs, not already a live cd, yet still came with gui and smoe basic tools?

I have used DSL before, and found it quite good. I looked at puppy linux and don't like 250mb config file. DSL doesn't have a library I need to run a progeram. Anyway I found a distro called slax ( I hope that's right) anyway it is dessigned to be edited. the problem is I am on dialup so these things take awhile do get! Already 1.5 hours in! 15%

Hello I am looking at packeging a linux distro to a live cd with my own tools.  And was wondering where I could find a distro that was under 50 megs, not already a live cd, yet still came with gui and smoe basic tools?

143382[/snapback]

Does any1 know where can get linux :lol:

About the small distro i know Guadalinex-Mini. It is a spanish distro.

Guadalinex

Does any1 know where can get linux :lol:

143505[/snapback]

The beauty of linux is that it is opensource. You can go directly to the official website of the a lot of distro distribution and they will point you where you can downloaded. Ubuntu goes far away and they send you for free home the number of copies you order :-)

Hello I am looking at packeging a linux distro to a live cd with my own tools.  And was wondering where I could find a distro that was under 50 megs, not already a live cd, yet still came with gui and smoe basic tools?

143382[/snapback]

You can try Feather Linux, it's a Knoppix based distro - 119MB (but I think that you can remove more applications and reclaim space):

How was it made?

First, I stripped all the packages from Knoppix 3.4 that I didn't need - after all, who needs both KOffice and Openoffice.org, and about five window managers? That left me with a 70Mb image, and then I removed all the locale files and documentation I could find. I also changed the standard XFree86 server to the XVesa and XFbdev servers, which are quicker and much smaller. Then I removed /var/lib/dpkg and placed it in a separate .tar.bz2 archive (which can be downloaded for remasters or hard drive installs), and I did the same for /usr/src/linux as well.

Next, I started adding some more applications which were both Debian and non-Debian, such as Abiword and Xzgv respectively. I also removed some files which were identical to others, and replaced them with either symlinks or shell scripts (i.e. in the case of grep, egrep and fgrep). After that, it was just a case of cleaning up some remnants of the original Knoppix - I changed the boot image to show the Feather Linux bootup screen, and I also prevented /home/knoppix from being overwritten on boot.

Thanks go to Klaus Knopper for creating Knoppix, and to the Debian team for providing a base for both Knoppix and Feather.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

In order to make a Linux distribution that is 50MB in size, start thinking FluxBox(http://fluxbox.org/), and delete any application that is not needed, every megabyte counts!

Good luck!

Why do you really need a small distro, unless u're fitting it on a USB key or something?If you want fast Linux and performance Linux, get "real" ones like SuSE, Fedora Core...xboxrulz

About the small distro i know Guadalinex-Mini. It is a spanish distro.

Guadalinex

The beauty of linux is that it is opensource. You can go directly to the official website of the a lot of distro distribution and they will point you where you can downloaded. Ubuntu goes far away and they send you for free home the number of copies you order :-)

143534[/snapback]

Yeah, my Ubuntu Linux copy finally arrived yesterday - all 20 copies. :lol:

I'm not a big Linux user, but I plan to be in the near future, so I don't know a lot of Linux distros, but I remember running across a very small linux distro once: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

It's 50 MB according to the site's title.

143393[/snapback]

Yep, that is the smallest OUT OF THE BOX linux that i know of aswell...though i will keep lookin, for me and for you...

if you want it really small, get DSL and strip it all the way down. remove gui, remove everything. you can do ALMOST anything without GUI unless graphics, browsing the web, use links. unless you removed all that too.

dear,One thing that I would like to say that if you need a small linux package then form any linux distribution you can make it though it is a little time consuming for the first time but if you have done once then it's simple.Just install that packages that are required to you if you need any GUI then go for GNOME. A very small linux will be containing the following 1. the kernal (better if u use latest)2. Supports Networking (apache,sendmail,smb,nfs...etc)3. a gui environment like GNOME (i think the simple)4. well installed web browser (Mozilla firefox is just fine)5. If you are interested in multimedia it's your choice6. of course if u need use openoffice.org and PDF toolsalternative Yes working on LFS (linux from sctach) is a good decision if you are adventurous.another option Do you know XANDROS if not try it...it's best for very beginnersplease be in touch if u have querries.thanksacumentech

A "light" linux DOES NOT need GNOME. It's resource & space consuming. XFCE is fine and is also based on the gtk library. DSL uses fluxbox which is very light but doesn't support desktop icons(iDesk can help on this)