xisto Community
twentyinches631

Billboards In Space?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/20/space_billboard_ban/

I think it would be really sad if one day you look up into the sky and see an advertisement projecting like the "bat signal". Hopefully this will never happen. People are insane that they would want to do that. Is money reallly that important? Would you even buy a product just because you saw it in the sky?

I can't believe anyone would want to do something like that. I never even thought about it. I guess I'm taking my nice big sky forgranted. I really hope that something does get passed to prevent this from happening. But even if it does in one country, what'll be there to stop the next.This will probably become a bigger issue in the future, I just hope that people all decide against it.It's bad enough that the sky is harder to see at night because of all the lights in the city, but now this... I don't know. I just know I don't like it. As for buying it, I'd more rather avoid it. I wouldn't want to help a company who does that sort of thing.

that would be a nice thing for companies but i don't think its a good idea. It will be like driving distractions maybe. iono. I think the only advertising should be from the government making warning messages or some kind of alert thingy. just informational stuff.

that would be a nice thing for companies but i don't think its a good idea. It will be like driving distractions maybe. iono. I think the only advertising should be from the government making warning messages or some kind of alert thingy. just informational stuff.

143205[/snapback]

Okay, so if it was used only for warning messages, or some kind of alert system, that would be a different story, because it could save lives. And if it was like the bat signal to do this, it wouldn't have to be up there all the time, just when something is really important. Still that asks the question of when to draw the line. What makes one cause more important that another.

I don't know now how I feel about it. I would still be four-square against it for advertising purposes, but if it could be helping to save people in danger or something that could be different.

Yeah, actually I never really thought about it, but you could definitely use the technology as a public message system for warnings and such, but it would only be useful at night. I think we already change enough of our environment... we don't really need to destroy the night sky.

You cant put adverts in the sky, I mean someone would first have to own the sky and thats just silly, anyway I doubt that would have much affect on people anyway, I mean I know i wouldn't be a product just because I saw an ad in the sky, but saying that I dont pay much attention to conventional ads, so thats probably just a personal thing. One thing I think would be quite cool was if instead of ads it was something important like news bulletins or something like that.

Imagine - our calendars could display the lunar, solar AND NIKE eclipses! Great idea!I hope this never happens. I would be so angry, and would boycott any company that committed such an atrocity against nature. The sad thing is that somewhere out there some suit at the top of a corporation probably gets aroused at the thought of this idea.

At first i thought you meant billboards for spaceships but hey, sure it's pretty lame. In holland there aren't really too many billboards but i thik that's for the safety of the driver on the road? But, i think space billboards would have to be prety damn big if you wanted to project something you could read. I think it'd be better as a sort of alarm system like, alien invasion, or 'nuclear war stay indoors'. But hey, that is the future this is now, let's focus on having a nice dinner.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/05/20/space_billboard_ban/

I think it would be really sad if one day you look up into the sky and see an advertisement projecting like the "bat signal". Hopefully this will never happen. People are insane that they would want to do that. Is money reallly that important? Would you even buy a product just because you saw it in the sky?

143201[/snapback]

omg just when i think they did it all..

A lot of you say things like "I would boycott those companies" but in reality you would do exactly what big advertisers want you to do that's why they do it . People spend billions of dollars every year just trying to figure out what would make you buy thier product and buy a lot of it.Advertisers know what they are doing and if they dfecided it was worth it to put a pepsi logo on the moon a lot of research would have gone into that and although there would be a few people out there that really did boycot them but the brand recognition would make them enough money that it wouldn't reallt matter.And besides all that it would not happen overnight it would happen slowly enough that by the time there was a full time advertisement on the moon you wouldn't even think about how wierd it was thats what is happening right now eveywhere you look,heck right now the NBA is talking about selling ad space on players jersies I'll bet when the first stadium was named after some big corporation nobody saw that coming,and one day when every athlete looks like a stock car nobody will think anything of it. The same will apply to the moon they will sneak it up on you so slowly you wouldn't even notice. :rolleyes:

How long though would it take to see billboards in space. Yes probably in 100-200 years people can take vacations in space probably but just how long could this be?And for advertising on billboards will they something to keep them still or would they orbit around earth?

and yet it is funny that they are bothering with this at all think about it the billboard would have to be at leat 500-1000 square miles might be wrong on that size plus the money that would have to go into keeping that thing afloat in space as well.and also in dream land man will soon be able to breath in space without oxygen to

That's mad! It would be horrible if there were huge advertisements in the sky! I never buy anything from an advert unless I want to buy it anyways. I think it's just dumb if companies would do that. Sure, it might help their business, but I think if people saw an advert in the sky they would be turned away from buying their products. I would.

I never buy anything from an advert unless I want to buy it anyways.

145791[/snapback]

That's the thing if you know anything at all about advertising you that brand recognition is a very big factor possibly the biggest factor that determines what people buy.Doritos commercials aren't supposed make you want doritos they are designed to keep doritos on your mind,to make you think that you decided all on your own that you want doritos.You may think that you make your own descisions but advertisers don't spend all that money just to remind you that doritos exist everybody knows that,they spend the money to make think about it and think about it alot. :rolleyes: