xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
C2C

What Is...the Better Shipping Company UPS, DHL, or Fedex?

Well this question has puzzle me for a long time and I was wondering if there are any opinions on this matter. If I can successfully sell my sister's laptop, I want the best service for shipping possible for the buyer. So what'll it be, DHL, UPS, or FEDex?

I'm not really sure what is the best. I've never shipped anything large before. Just used the regular post office for small - medium things.Anyway... everyone's probably already heard this... but I thought it was so funny when I first heard it, I figured I'd share it with you...My mother told about how FedEx and UPS were going to merge and switch their name to Fed Up... (Sorry, I had to say it!) The funniest part about that, is apparently, when the person told that to my mother, she thought it was for real :lol: I can't say much though... I'm the world's most gullible person... boy do I have some stories...

I use Fedex for anything valuable. I've shipped a few laptops without any problems via Fedex. I don't even trust USPS (the post office) for anything other then mail. From past experience, UPS has had some delivery problems.

I have shipped a number of items as I do a lot of selling on eBay. For something like a laptop I like to goto the UPS Store (formerly Mail Boxes Etc) and have them pack it. I use them mostly because there is a store in my town. It cost a little bit more but it is well worth it, IMHO. I go in with the item, and ask them how much they think it might cost to pack it for me. I then use the shipping calculator with in eBay so the buyer can calulate the shipping to their zip code. I'm able to add the estimated packing cost the final amount that the calulator provides. I have had pretty good luck with it being pretty close to what the actual shipping costs.

Well, I've never heard of DHL, and I've had some bad experiences with missing and delayed packages with UPS, so I would say go with Fedex. Thats where I usually go to send stuff.

UPS, absolutely.

One hint--if you sell it for just a little bit over $100, only insure it for $100 (which is automatic with UPS) and take your chances. They're very good about paying insurance claims within that $100, but if it's more, and something goes wrong, it gets complicated and takes longer. Naturally, if you sell it for a lot more than $100, you'll want to insure it for full value, but it's just not worth the hassle for $5 or $10 unless you couldn't cover that much if you had to make up the difference yourself.

Suz

I use Fedex for anything valuable. I've shipped a few laptops without any problems via Fedex. I don't even trust USPS (the post office) for anything other then mail. From past experience, UPS has had some delivery problems.

142768[/snapback]

I was an eBay Power Seller for years. First I had a contract with FedEx. They screwed up my bills--overcharged my by 40%, 3 months in a row--then they destroyed 3 large, well-packaged shipments--looked like they threw them out of the truck, then ran over them. They put me through the ringer on the insurance claims and took weeks to pay the claims. Never did I go through a whole month without some kind of problem with FedEx. Even the drivers griped about what a horrible company they were and how badly there were treated.

I switched to UPS for the last year we were in business and the difference was night and day. They were nice, friendly, efficient, and a total pleasure to do business with. They handled all problems promptly and always to my satisfaction. Our 2 drivers had been with the company for over 20 years and always had a smile for us. Our rep and our drivers surprised us with services above and beyond the call of duty. (FedEx drivers were a passing parade of disgruntled employees with nothing but complaints about their own company.)

We also used USPS on occasion. Our granddaughter shipped us a laptop. She paid an extra $5 to have the post office package it up--the guy griped about it the whole time. It arrived with the disk drive broken. It took a couple of weeks to find out that it wasn't broken when she shipped it, but I did something stupid with the shipping box, so I couldn't make an insurance claim, which really made me mad because I have heard that they NEVER pay out on an insurance claim, and I really wanted to find out for myself if that was true.

They are also very expensive. The first $100 of insurance, tracking, and delivery confirmation come free with UPS and FedEx, you pay almost $3 extra for that at the post office. Also, they open a lot of packages for inspection (especially Media Mail) and they don't repack them properly. That could get you a negative feedback on eBay.

Suz

Notice from jlhaslip:
Merged 2 posts

Wow so many different opinions but so far I've heard none about DHL. Well the good thing is that I still got time to make sure which company but right now I'm leaning toward Fun from his/her experiences. Thanks guys.

I can tell you about DHL because it's from germany and i am from germany too :( They are very fast and secure. The prices are a little bit high. But most of the people in Germany use it. :lol: hope it helps

UPS by far, fedex comes in second, ups has great service, always on time (the only delays ive had were when the people sending it were late), friendly service, but then again the ups guy is like family here, he is always at the door, lol, we even gave him a christmas present! (that ironically he delivered, lol)

I would have to say UPS for a few reasons.1. I've known about UPS since I was 52. If the customer isn't there to get a package they give them like 2 or 3 chances3. You can require a signature (to insure no one stole the laptop your shipping)4. You can request payment when the package is dropped off (I think I'm not sure)

I reccommend Fed Ex. they are fast and the price for shipment is very reasonable. The also over a 24 hour shipping like any other but theris is much affordable. I even laugh when I found out the a Local Shipping company here in the Philippines cont way too costly than Fed Ex. when my brother sent 5 CDs as an entry for a website contest, it cost him only 66 (less that 2 US Dollars)Pesos at Fedex while the price for the local is around 250Pesos (5 US Dollars).

I ain't sure about UPS, but Fedex has this feature which allows you to track your parcel/package. We used Fedex for transporting our robot and everything was fine when it arrived.( We put our robot in a makeshift crate made from plywood) Funny thing was, our robot was suppose to go to Portland but was stuck in Memphis for a few days.

I worked for a private mailing store (like Mailboxes Etc, except privately owned) for almost two years. I have plenty of experience with almost every single shipping possibility or method.

3. You can require a signature (to insure no one stole the laptop your shipping)

4. You can request payment when the package is dropped off (I think I'm not sure)

144987[/snapback]

Actually, you can require a signature with USPS, UPS, or FedEx. It costs a few dollars extra with USPS, whereas UPS and FedEx are not much at all.

I ain't sure about UPS, but Fedex has this feature which allows you to track your parcel/package.

UPS also has this feature. Each time a UPS label is printed, it is automatically assigned an electronic tracking number. You can track any package by going to https://www.ups.com/ .

Funny thing was, our robot was suppose to go to Portland but was stuck in Memphis for a few days.

This is because the FedEx main headquarters is based in Memphis, Tennessee. All packages shipped via FedEx first arrive in Tennessee and are then re-routed to their destination. You would think that this method would be very time consuming and really not necessary, but FedEx Air service (overnight, 2 day, and 3 day guaranteed delivery times) is way more reliable than UPS's.

One hint--if you sell it for just a little bit over $100, only insure it for $100 (which is automatic with UPS) and take your chances. They're very good about paying insurance claims within that $100, but if it's more, and something goes wrong, it gets complicated and takes longer. Naturally, if you sell it for a lot more than $100, you'll want to insure it for full value, but it's just not worth the hassle for $5 or $10 unless you couldn't cover that much if you had to make up the difference yourself.

UPS only charges ~$1 for every $100 of insurance that you purchase above $100 (up to $5000). I don't see why you would take a chance with something over $100. It won't save you money if the package is damaged.

UPS's software and customer service is generally more efficient and productive than FedEx's. UPS's ground shipping service is much more reliable than FedEx's ground shipping service.

FedEx's Air service is cheaper than UPS's.

UPS's ground service is SLIGHTLY more expensive than FedEx's (by only a few cents), but it is more reliable.

Bottom line: When shipping something, pay someone else to pack it. Buy the correct amount of insurance for the package. For overnight, 2-day, or 3-day shipping, use FedEx. For standard ground shipping, use UPS. Use the post office for letters and bills only or you will hate your life (ESPECIALLY if a package is damaged and you file a claim).

Trust me.

2. If the customer isn't there to get a package they give them like 2 or 3 chances

144987[/snapback]

Sorry, accidentally left this part of your post out when I responded. FedEx does this as well as UPS. The USPS, however, does not (if I remember correctly).

I use both UPS & USPS, they're both OK. UPS provides better tracking system than USPS, on the other hand, USPS provide cheaper rate. I like its Flat rate priority mail and delivery confirmation free if use it online.