xisto Community
dspencer

How To Detect And Remove Mp3 Duplicates Software for search mp3 duplicates on hard disk

Notice from snlildude87:
Plagiarized post. Quotes added. Link below.

? great software for detecting mp3 duplicated is here
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Description:

The purpose of this program is to find all mp3 duplicates on your computer and remove useless files from your hard drive. As this program performs just this single task it copes with it much better than other more universal programs. Unlike the other programs for duplicate files search, our program works only with mp3 files. This allows using specific methods for duplicates detection. While most of duplicates finders use such criteria as file size and file name, our program uses the artist name and title of the composition from ID3 tag for comparison. If the mp3 file doesn't have filled tags, the program tries to determine such information from mp3 file name. This program can find either mp3 files with completely equal tags or with similar but not exactly equal tags. You can have a lot remixes and variations of any song or any song can be performed by various artists. This program will help you detect all these mp3 files and decide what you want to do with them - leave, delete or move to another place.
From version 1.1 Abee Mp3 Duplicates Finder can work with WMA and Ogg Vorbis files. Now you can find duplicates among all 3 popular audio formats !

Edited by snlildude87 (see edit history)

Thanks dspencer. I hate it when I find duplicates and have to go back and check if it IS a duplicate or not. Well, it's time to empty out 1gb of duplicates... :lol:

Thanks for the tip.i like it.i have so many on my disk.its good as it works.with wma and ogg too.so many addd ons on it also.love your tip.hands up man .thanks.

I was interested in such program 2 years ago. And now I use Dupe Checker PRO. I think that it isn't efficient to buy a prog which performs only one of many functions it could perform. There are many programs which successfully search duplicates with any extensions. All benefits of Abee program relate to other progs too. Thus you can buy much more useful program at the same price....

IMHO!!!

I was interested in such program 2 years ago.  I think that it isn't efficient to buy a prog which performs only one of many functions it could perform. There are many programs which successfully search duplicates with any extensions. All benefits of Abee program relate to other progs too. Thus you can buy much more useful program at the same price....

Hm...
You even not tried to use this program.
Yes, it performs only one task, but it performs this task perfectly.
I tried about five different programs before this and Abee Mp3 Duplicates Finder found many duplicates after this programs !
And it costs less than all-in-one programs and if you want just to find and remove mp3 duplicates you need not all-in-one program.
Note that Abee Mp3 Duplicates Finder supports Ogg Vorbis files and wma files.
Do you know many programs which supports this formats too ?

There are many programs which successfully search duplicates with any extensions. All benefits of Abee program relate to other progs too. Thus you can buy much more useful program at the same price....

Most of programs for duplicates search compares only filenames or comapares byte-by-byte. For mp3 files it is wrong. Two files packed with different bitrate will are different for byte-by-byte comparison. Names of mp3 files are usually not very informative and often very different for the same files.
But ID3 tags are usually correct.
Therefore Abee Mp3 duplicates finder can find more duplicates than other universal programs(as Dupe Checks for examle).

wow .. this is a handy program ... but i still do not know how it works .. and what is ID3 tags? do every mp3 has one ?

ID3 Tags are special meta information that contains information about artist, title, album, etc.
Mp3 files not always contains ID3 Tags. Anyone can add or change ID3 tags(in WinAmp press Alt-3 to do this).
But if WinAmp(or other player) shows the artist and title for mp3 file(not something like track01.mp3) then thi file has filled ID3 Tags.

I just want to add that the Abee Mp3 Duplicates Finder can extract artist name and title from filename, if ID3 tags are empty.

I was interested in such program 2 years ago. And now I use Dupe Checker PRO. I think that it isn't efficient to buy a prog which performs only one of many functions it could perform. There are many programs which successfully search duplicates with any extensions. All benefits of Abee program relate to other progs too. Thus you can buy much more useful program at the same price....

I had started Dupe Checker at first.
This program found a lot of duplicate files at my hard disk.
It found 12 mp3 files.
When I deleted all 536 duplicate files I got 97 Mb of free space.

Then I had started Mp3 Duplicates Finder.
This program found 54 duplicate mp3 files.
When I deleted 54 mp3 files I got 312 Mb of free space.

Note that mp3 files occupy a lot of space whereas for example documents and images are small enough, and removing mp3 files
is more efficient than documents and images.

Thus Mp3 duplicates finder was more useful for me.

Sorry for my english.

I had started Dupe Checker at first.

This program found a lot of duplicate files at my hard disk.

It found 12 mp3 files.

When I deleted all 536 duplicate files I got 97 Mb of free space.

Then I had started Mp3 Duplicates Finder.

This program found 54 duplicate mp3 files.

When I deleted 54 mp3 files I got 312 Mb of free space.

Note that mp3 files occupy a lot of space whereas for example documents and images are small enough, and removing mp3 files

is more efficient than documents and images.

Thus Mp3 duplicates finder was more useful for me.

Sorry for my english.

Recently I've discovered an interesting tool called Phelix, it seems to be a successor of a freeware Seek & Destroy Music Duplicates. Phelix is unique in one feature: it actually identifies duplicates by listening to music. How it works, I don't know, but it's surprisingly fast (from the aspect of fact that it is obviously processing mp3 audio). Lots of zombie-duplicates have been found, invisible for conventional tag-matchers (50 in my master collection of 3000 songs). Tool selects also songs with sound similarities. Conventional tag-matcher is powerful and very fast. I don't know if there is any better music dupe-killer currently on the market.

Recently I've discovered an interesting tool called Phelix, it seems to be a successor of a freeware Seek & Destroy Music Duplicates. Phelix is unique in one feature: it actually identifies duplicates by listening to music. How it works, I don't know, but it's surprisingly fast (from the aspect of fact that it is obviously processing mp3 audio). Lots of zombie-duplicates have been found, invisible for conventional tag-matchers (50 in my master collection of 3000 songs). Tool selects also songs with sound similarities. Conventional tag-matcher is powerful and very fast. I don't know if there is any better music dupe-killer currently on the market.

Phelix is for Mac, friend. Do you have something similar for XP/Vista based computers?

I don't have at this time too much mp3 as I had about 97's-98's, but I remember the difficult to identify one of other because the songs were encoded at different bitrates, and I remember use a lot of shareware to try to remove all the mp3 files duplicated, and all of them was futile.

So if any of you have a real waveform file comparison -or something simmilar- for Windows computers, please, post here...

Similarity

How To Detect And Remove Mp3 Duplicates

Replying to B4ND1T

This is an old thread now, but I'm searching for a Linux/Ubuntu tool to do the same thing, and can recommend a really good one for Windows

I found a really good (and free!) program for Windows called "SIMILARITY", which does as people have said about Phelix, in that it looks at the ID3 tags and filenames, but also "listens" to the music (it must do some sort of mathematical transformation on the files and detect approximate matches). Then it lists the results along with percentage matches for ID3/Filename, and "listening" match. You can sort by either, so if your filenames/ID3 tags are out of whack, you can see the listening matches. It lists in order of best match - you'll find some files with a 70% match for example which aren't really that similar. The main gripe I have with it is it doesn't list the bitrate, so you don't really want to delete from in the program, instead you need to go into Windows explorer to check out which is the one you want to delete. Still, pretty good program for something which costs $0.00

Any Linux/Ubuntu suggestions, please reply!

-reply by Graza

Free Tools AvailableHow To Detect And Remove Mp3 Duplicates

You can try this FREE tool that was recently featured on PCMagazine and ZDNet:Fast Duplicate File FinderFast Duplicate File Finder will help you find fast all duplicate files in a folder and its sub folders.The applications will compare the content of your files so it will find duplicates even if they are using different file names.It uses fast binary comparison algorithm and has internal preview supporting a lot of image, video, music and text file formats.Audio Dedupe - Duplicate MP3 FinderAudio Dedupe is an innovative tool that can recognize duplicate audio files even if they are stored in different file formats and are not marked with ID3 tags.Supports MP3, MP2, MP1, MPA, WAV, OGG, AIFF, AAC, MP4, FLAC, AC3, WavPack (WV), Musepack (MPC) and Windows Media Audio (WMA) file formats

-reply by Allan Cass