xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
C2C

Venting On The Computer Modem So far it took me 3 days and nothing happen

Well my sister received a free computer (2.5 ghz pentium 4 etc) and for some reason I can't install the modem. I have dial up. I keep buying new modems and trying it for Window XP and it STILL doesn't work. Each company says compatible with Window XP but none of the modem is digitally signed. This the first time that I had problem with installing a modem and it really gets me vented. So many times I had to install/uninstall the modem and it would not change anything. So far it's been three days and over 10 tries of installing/uninstalling the modem and taking it out. Boy this pisses me off. :lol:

Have you called up the people you purchased the modem from and asked for help? And how many new modems have you bought? I hope you're getting your money back if they're not working.

Well I haven't called them (I never do =/ ). I've tried Diamond and this one other brand with Supra on it but I forgot what it was called. Both are v92 bought from Fry's Electronics. When I check if it was digitally signed, it said it wasn't so I have no clue how to proceed. Digitally signed: compatiable with Windows. I shall go with my sister to Fry's soon to ask the people there what's wrong.

Well I haven't called them (I never do =/ ).

You should always call. If you've bought something and it doesn't work for you or doesn't do what it says it should (or what the seller claimed it would), then you're entitled to a refund or at least an exchange.

I forgot to add my sister returned both modems already with full refund from Fry's. The first two times she didn't bring me along as she usually does so I had no clue what went on. Next time I will force my sister to bring me along with her.

It would be easier to just call though, there is no need to ask your sister to take you. Either that, or go online and check the website of the company that made the modem and ask for support there.

You may have to check whether your communication port is working. Most modems work via the parallel lpt interface, if the lpt is not working, your modem may not work. I have experience with this before, the lpt port of my computer is simply malfunctioning, so I can?t detect the modem with my hardware manager in win XP. Do you have any printer using the lpt? You may check whether it is the problem of the port by using the printer?

Nope, there isn't any printer connected to the computer. I checked the port to see if it was malfunctioning just like what Windows told me to do and it said all ports were working fine. Good news...I'll just switch to cable soon since bro decided cable over speaker system for computer hehehehe.