xisto Community
lamode

Phpbb Or Invision Power Board ?

phpbb Or Invision Power Board  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

hi, i am just about to start a forum, that is about warcraft3 maps development and discussion and bugs report, appox 500+ members. but i am not sure the difference between phpbb and invison power board, any information about that would be extre me useful here.

i prefer phpbb forums too and i'm using one right now...I can admit that i've never tried invision boards so i cant really make a fair comparisation. I do know that i like them both.. though i think phpbb forums are more fast and simple, so it's easier to use :lol:That's just my opinion though. :(

I used phpBB.. so, i voted and recommanded it.

what is good about? well both ipb and phpbb have their own images. but ipb, there is no more free latest version avaliable for download (which is what Xisto forum using v.2.0.++). Xisto host offered free version ipb v1.0 which you can find under cpanel > add on script, not under fantastico.

for phpBB, you can have it to run the lastest version 2.0.15 and there are nearly add on hacks like what ipb does which you can easily find over net.. some cool links for phpbb are MX system, php Hacks, phpBB official, itself and Przemo version. for the style, preview here and download here of your choice!!

other than that, use simple machine forum which you can find under fantastico. but SMF needs bigger load of your sever host space.

you thought all the things are so complicated, :lol: then use punBB, straight forward, light weight and fast.. you can find under add-on script.

i'm currently using mx-system(check my link below) which is good. i used Przemo version before and not bad but lot of hacks to handle :(

good luck..

I think you should use Invision Power Board and this is why:1. Customizable, you can find skins easily2. Addons, you can find stuff like a shoutbox or arcade3. Powerful, you can subscribe to topics and stuff like that4. Moderation and Admins, easy to manage your boardThose are my reasons I'm sure other people will agree with me.

phpBB is the way to go, its completeley free, easy to customise, tonnes of skins and mods available for it,A good community if you need any help at all, people always willing to help you out. the admin area is quite complicated to use, but you will get used to iy after a good poke :lol:phpBB is the best!!!! woo!

I think that if you have the money, go for IPB as it'll definitely attract more member and it has way more features.. Also try vBulletin where they have the finest professional board and their vBulletin 3.5 is coming out and they have real great features!!

If you can afford it, definitely go for IPB. I've had experience using both IPB and phpbb, and I like the IPB interface and features more. But if you're looking for a good and free forum, phpbb2 for the win. I've used a few other free forums, and nothing even comes close to phpbb. Both have a massive amount of skins and modifications. I've heard that vBulletin is also supposed to be pretty good as well.

It's hard to say, I've had too many problems with both! But at the moment I'm using phpBB, a pre-modded phpBB. If your interested, head over to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and register and download it. It's not my site so don't worry. You can get a pre-modded IPB but the upload is very time consuming, and half the mods you won't even use, it's garanteed. So pretty much what I'm saying is go with the pre-modded phpBB if your going for a pre-modded forum, if your going for a normal forum with no mods, I'd have to say IPB.

As for me i voted for phpBB, because:

1. It's absolutly free.

2. It's easy to download and deploy.

3. It's easy to modify and deploy plugins

4. There tonns of themes for phpBB and lots of them free.

BUT If you are going to setup somethink that must be exploit protected buy IPB !!! Invision Power board are much safer than PhpBB! :D

BUT2 If you will track bug news and updates for phpBB you can install it and have fun with everymonth updates :(

It's only my meaning, nothing personal :D

Keeper, Sons of the Dragon http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I voted for phpBB. In my opinion, it's quite simple and totally free, like keeper said before. Also I have to say that you can install things on it, which (I think ) you can't install in IPB. On IPB it's disgusting that I don't get a full working translation. I could just use a language instead of german, which was a mix of american english, british english and german. phpBB is in this case better. There are many many languages preinstalled and work fine.

I'd vote for phpBB. I think I've mentioned this before... the fact that it's open source so that you can fool around with the codes if you want to, (and yet it is fairly straightforward even if you're phpphobic) makes me feel it's a pretty good choice. The thing about installing mods is that you can have exactly what you want for your forums. Makes it more unique, more customizable. Besides, I think the support at phpBB is very extensive. Although I haven't seen enough of IPB to make a fair comparision, I am pretty sure I prefer phpBB because I like stuff that's completely and thoroughly free :P Just an opinion, of course, no offense to IPB.

Personally...I'd go with neither of the two. I do have a better suggestion actually. :DI favor the XMB board. It's quite nice, especially since the Nexus version was released. XMB is opensource freeware like PhpBB, but has all of the easy controls like Invision. There are a wide variety of hacks and mods for XMB and the support at the forum is quite solid. The admin CP is very easy to navigate, and all of the mod controls are a breeze to use.On the outside, the XMB board looks more like an Invision board, and changing the skins is very, very easy....unlike PhpBB. It's also easier to install and get running than PhpBB.