xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
guangdian

Wild Card Name

From RFC 2672 which proposes changes to 1034/4.3.2/Step 3 like this... c. If at some label, a match is impossible (i.e., the corresponding label does not exist), look to see whether the last label matched has a DNAME record.... text on what to do for an exact DNAME application...If there was no DNAME record, look to see if the "*" label exists.The impact of "* DNAME" would only be felt in two ways.One is if the QNAME had a "*" in the middle of it, running across the * DNAME along the way. In this case, it's not a wild card (synthesis) situation.The other way is if the QTYPE is "DNAME" or "ANY" and the QNAME leads to a source of synthesis.Thinking of the latter I have to question the elided text from the quote above: If a DNAME record exists at that point, copy that record into the answer section. If substitution of its <target> for its <owner> in QNAME would overflow the legal size for a <domain- name>, set RCODE to YXDOMAIN [DNSUPD] and exit; otherwise perform the substitution and continue. If the query was not extended [EDNS0] with a Version indicating understanding of the DNAME record, the server SHOULD synthesize a CNAME record as described above and include it in the answer section. Go back to step 1.What if the QTYPE was DNAME? Why continue? Why include the CNAME if it's the DNAME I want?Once again, I find so many holes with RFC 2672...how do you clarify it? (Yes, I know that DNAME's "work." But I am beginning to think that there are too many rough edges in the definition - what makes rough edges acceptable here but not in other applications?)-

As far as I can tell,

If there was no DNAME record, look to see if the "*" label        exists.

AND

If a DNAME record exists at that point, copy that record into        the answer section.  If substitution of its <target> for its
        <owner> in QNAME would overflow the legal size for a <domain-
      name>, set RCODE to YXDOMAIN [DNSUPD] and exit; otherwise
        perform the substitution and continue.  If the query was not
        extended [EDNS0] with a Version indicating understanding of the
        DNAME record, the server SHOULD synthesize a CNAME record as
      described above and include it in the answer section.  Go back
        to step 1.

are copied from this site http://rfc2672.x42.com/
You did not properly disclose the reference site and did not use quotes. You should know better by now. I am giving you a warning! And this is closed since this is nothing more than spamming considered to gain hosting credits. Do you even know what you are copying? There is no beginning and no end.