xisto Community

I have a little problem: I want to use special fonts on my site but I don't know so well how to get them..Should I download the font(s) (if so: where?), should I get it anywhere else (-> program, person etc..), or should I create it myself (?!).I could use some tips !ooh and wich ones do you consider as nice?btw: free is the main word :(

Quite simply, google.com is your friend.A simple "futuristic fonts" or "classic fonts" or even "website fonts" should bring up a fair number of pages with fonts able to download, and if it brings up lots of sites where you are asked to pay for fonts, then type either "free ___ fonts" (__ being the style you want) or even browse around for a specific font you may like and then search for that filename on google might get some naughty download pirates offering it for free :].To be honest though, you don't wanna use too much custom stuff for the actual main text of the website, it will make it hard to read and might make people lose interest. For logos and headings though, yeah sure.

here are some...

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
http://www.fontparadise.com/
http://www.wantedfonts.com/

the last 2 sites are preety good. instead of having the fonts ordered in alphabetic order (like many other font sites do), it has the fonts divided by category, which is very useful.

in case you don't know, after downloading the fonts you want, you need to install them. (before installing, close photoshop or whichever graphic program you're using)

go to start -> control panel -> fonts.
then go to file -> install new font. and choose the location!

so downloading the fonts is the most obvious option.. Thank you guys for the webpages, I will certainly check them out!Now that I have some beautiful fonts, I wonder if I use one on my site, are visitors, who haven't got the font installed, able to read the text? Does the browser deliver a sort of 'package' (-> the relevant font) with the site..How does it work exactly?

I will ask my question again, hoping someone can answer it this time: will visitors of my site will be able to read the text ("animated" with the special font) even if they haven't installed the special font. If the answer to my question is 'yes', how does it work exactly? Does the browser deliver a sort of 'package' (-> the relevant font) with the site? :)Anyone?

gotcha41: will visitors of my site will be able to read the text ("animated" with the special font) even if they haven't installed the special font.

if the visitor he doesnt have the font you used, it will automatically change to the "default" font, which is times new roman.

my advice is to use the font in photoshop (or any other program you use) and save it as an image (jpg, gif, whatever =P ). that way, all the ppl will be able to see your special font! :)

hope that helps.

btw, what are you gona do with the font? a header for your site?

I will use the special font for the buttons, which are actually just simple links, in the menu-bar of my site :) But I think I will use/have to use images to make the special font visible for everyone, as you suggested.. Anyway,Thanks for responding :)

Once I tried to create my own fonts but that was a missed project so I think downloadin them from the net is the best thing...Just be sure that they areNOT COPYRIGHTED!!! or you might have problems..If you are creating a logo you can also use coreldraw and photoshop!Bye

i also go to daFonts.com for my fonts, the fonts there are great and you can have an option to type-in some text so when you search for a font, the word you typed will be in the font that you have search.

There are special websites where you can use already uploaded special fonts for your website which every one can see not just you. I don't know where to get them but some of my friends get them off japenese websites... If you do find out any tell me.

There are special websites where you can use already uploaded special fonts for your website which every one can see not just you. I don't know where to get them but some of my friends get them off japenese websites... If you do find out any tell me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

java script:CheckLength()

Check Post Length

that's actually very easy. first you have to upload the font to a folder in you website (it doesn't matter where it can even be on a different webstie) make sure the font is .ttf or something. Then you insert a html tag that lets you use a specail font for your site even if it's not a picture. I forgot the html tag so you have to google that piece of information out on your own

that's actually very easy. first you have to upload the font to a folder in you website (it doesn't matter where it can even be on a different webstie) make sure the font is .ttf or something. Then you insert a html tag that lets you use a specail font for your site even if it's not a picture. I forgot the html tag so you have to google that piece of information out on your own

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does the visitor have to install this font by oneself or does it 'work' automatically? because when it has to be installed, not everyone will do this i guess so the effect of the special font will be lost :)