xisto Community
unicornrose

Indexing On Subdomains index.html does not show up

Hi there.

When I creat html indexes they do not show up on my subdomains unless I directly link to them ie http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I know I should be able to just link this way http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and the index show up. If you will go there you will see instead it shows the directory index. How do I get it to stop showing that?

Thank you very much!

Beth

Hi,I have subdomains and i did not have that problem. I guess should be something about permisions or a wrong configurartion in .httpaccess or in CPanel. Good Luck!

It works with php indexes and modules that I have installed to a subdomain but it does not work with html indexes. Does anyone have some helpful advice?

I have two guesses for the origin of your problem:1. You have two index files, like for instance, index.html and index.php in the same folder...or2. Your .htaccess file specifies a file other than index.html as the index page.If index.php works, but index.html does not, then #2 can't be right. And I would think you'd notice that you had two indices if #1 were culpable. So this post has probably been of no help, but I can't think of any other explanation for that behavior.

It is the only index in the folder....the index.html that is. I just double checked and the information in the .htaccess file reads following:Options All IndexesIndexOptions FancyIndexingAnd from the main .htaccess file:## Apache/PHP/site settings:## Protect files and directories from prying eyes: order deny,allow deny from all# Set some optionsOptions All -IndexesOptions +FollowSymLinks All -Indexes# Customized server error messages:ErrorDocument 404 /index.php# Set the default handler to index.php:DirectoryIndex index.phpIs there anyhting that I should change?

There's your problem. 'DirectoryIndex' denotes which files will be used as a pre-defined directory index seperated by a space, in the order given (so if it's 'a b', then 'a' will be used first; if not found, 'b'). So you'll need to add index.html in there somewhere. Just in case you haven't figured that out yet.

If you plan on naming all of your index files "index.[whatever]", then you don't need this:

# Set the default handler to index.php:DirectoryIndex index.php

Without this code, "index.php" will still work as the index, and so will "index.html".

Then there's the matter of this code:
# Customized server error messages:ErrorDocument 404 /index.php

This sends the browser back to "index.php" when the server can't find a page. If "index.php" doesn't exist, it will just show the default Apache 404 page. You might be able to add "index.html" after "index.php", like Spectre says you can do for the DirectoryIndex command, so that you can cover your bases, but I'm not sure about the syntax of this command. In my opinion, it is better to simply delete this so that your visitors get the 404 page. If I were at your site and I tried to access an unavailable page, I'd like to know what the problem was, rather than just being sent back to the index.

My advice: delete all of the code I've quoted above.

Best of luck.

Pre-defined index files (eg. index.html, index.php, etc) aren't automatically recognized by Apache. You have to specifically specify them with the DirectoryIndex directive in the httpd.conf file. However, .htaccess files (if enabled) overwrite entries in the configuration file. Whilst the DirectoryIndex is certainly useful, you do not need it to specify indexes that already exist in Apache's core configuration file. I'm not entirely sure of all existing entries on Xisto's server, but I do know that both index.html and index.php are present.