xisto Community
Charlie

Are Australians Like Americans? Do you agree or disagree?

Are Australians like Americans?I think they are because of the movies, food, and the way we sell things. Or is it because we like Americans for what they do maybe it is because Australians want to be like Americans?I think we are losing our identity as Australians. We need to be more like Australia was and not become a newborn country of America.Do you agree or disagree?

I know some Australians and some Americans and they're nothing alike. But since I don't live in neither of those places, I can't really answer this topic correctly. But I do believe the whole world is americanized, if that made any sense.

I think that everyone wants to be like us Canadians. You know. Who wouldn't want to live in a igloo watching "Hockey Night In Canada" on Saturdays. ( If only there was hockey, dammit ). You all wish you had to get up early on winter mornings to get that 5 feet deep snow off your car. We Canadians actually embrace global warming, it makes us warmer. But seriously, I don't know. I think Aussies should be more different from Amerks and same thing with Canadians.

Australians and Americans are nothing alike. First of all, the two countries are half way around the world of each other. Also, the similar taste in food, movies, and business are the same thing for almost every country. Think about it. Baseball was Americans' sport. It was America's pasttime, but now, almost every country plays baseball. An example of a country is Cuba.Second, you see fast food restaurants everywhere. One time, I went to Vietnam, and I saw all fast food restaurants that I have seen in the United States - McDonald, Burger King, Wendy's. This is because businesses need a large audience in order to make money, and I don't blame them for going to other countries to sell their things.The only similarity I can think of between America and Australia are the language - both countries speak English....

Well, I'm not austrailian, I'm not sure of the population of austrailians on these boards, but, the main reason for this invasion of American-ism is due to the fact that america uses the english language, the same lanugage used by Austrailia, England and Ireland. Austraila just wants to get recognised in the world, we never actually hear ANY thing about austrailia or canada on the news in ireland, only when something exceptional happens. The only way we hear about america is through glossy fake tv shows such as Neighbours and Home and Away.Yes, American culture effects all english speaking countries weather we like it or not. America is a vast country, we preferr to see american action films showing a single Camandor kill an entire vietnam army, than having to read a deeply emotional thriller filmed in french with english subtitles..Course.. I meant german, the french don't make good thrillers.. not to my knowledge. Well, I can't really give you set answers, since I really havn't a clue about Austrailia's news and so forth, I don't think of austrailia as being like America. America is relgiously fanatic, they disagree with it, but, they are about as liberal as most arab countries.. though, I wont argue about america, the majority of american's on the net are great people. And I don't think any of the less intelligent ones would feel the need to make a website.. rather they stare at the mouse pick up a mallet and hit it a few times..

they are the same in every way except this-accentamount of fat peopleamount of overweight peopelnot as many mcdonaldsnot as many fast food restarauntsthey arent in wars at muchtheir presedent/whatever isnt a redneck(no offense bush lovers)yah...

There are it's similarities and it's differences. Although it's kind of to be expected, as you must realise both countries have a similar culture, whether it's influenced by one or another is a different matter. Both were colonised by European powers, both Australia and America became English dominated - hence English being the national language (and Australia was really only ever English dominated). Because of the "relatively" short age of both the countries - the culture that has developed because of the roots obviously will have its similarities.That said, I'm sure Americans can tell an Australian, as Australians can tell an American. But due to things like ANZUS, yeah, the ties are only going to remain... Plus America has influenced all areas of the globe - Australia has just been more open to that influence...

No, I disagree, I don't think Australians and Americans are very alike. They each have their own ways of doing things, and they have their own standards and whatnot. Plus one major difference is their accents. :(

The only way we hear about america is through glossy fake tv shows such as Neighbours and Home and Away.

G'day, im aussie.. and.. Home and Away and Neibours are Australian Tv show's... they are just broadcasted over the world. There not american. Though you are very right by saying that there FAKE.. i actually never watch the shows.

But us being like americans.. nah, I know Japanese dudes that are more american then us. The hole perception of America dominating over what ever country is not true. Is what im saying.. is look at most of our [australian] products, and more then likely americans. Alot of things will say "made in china" or "made in Tailand". So when it comes down to say products or clothing or what ever.. we not copying or getting our "cool" ideas from america

In actual fact, america i think wants to be like us. Recently some company there REGISTERED the name UGG (which we always had it for us... in UGG BOOTS).. its stupid. Now we must not call them UGG BOOTS (the sellers) at all.

hmm ... i think im being abit hard to understand :(

well i hope use get what i mean :(

WE ARE NOTHING ALIKE... .:coz they have accents:.

Are Australians like Americans?

I think they are because of the movies, food, and the way we sell things. Or is it because we like Americans for what they do maybe it is because Australians want to be like Americans?

I think we are losing our identity as Australians. We need to be more like Australia was and not become a newborn country of America.

Do you agree or disagree?

139210[/snapback]

Absolutely... Almost every country now-a-days wants to be like America! That's a pity. What about the goodness of that country itself?

It will take away the diversity of the whole World and eventually it will become very boring.

It is already so...

Whichver big city/ country you go now, they will certainly have one bird park, one zoo, one aquarium, one something something that you can see in every other place! They are so many amusement lands that are copycats of Disney Land...

Pity pity...

I don't know very many Australians, and I've never been to Australia - therefore I am about to make broad sweeping over generalizations about people from an entirely different continent. Forgive me for being way off-base :lol:

From what little I have experienced, there tends to be a more careful or thought-out approach with people from aussie-land. I've never heard one cuss or be generally nasty. I've never heard one say something just to say it. I've never met one I didnt like. The old generalization was that they are more laid-back and relaxed than americans. I dont think this is the case, because I've read some very interesting stuff by them that an over-relaxed person would not have went through the trouble of writing.

But I dont think they are like americans. Then again, what is an american like? I know of many, and some are less alike than others.

Others in this thread have said that other cultures are being americanized in general - I guess I can see that with McDonalds and Malls popping up all over the place. But I also think that a majority of mega corporations are no longer bound by national lines. My cousins live near a Toyota plant, and no they dont live in Japan - nor would I say they are being "japanised".

I agree that Australians are similar to Americans in many ways, and i think that many Australians want to be Americans, and possibly some Americans want to be Australians. But i could understand why some Australians would want to be American, and i think it's because of the freedom's that people have in America. America if i understood my History teacher correctly, is now one of the most free nations in the world. Because if you look at Europe i believe that the government has total and complete control over peoples internet don't they? thats not very free is it? I don't know about Australia , but maybe there are restrictions down there that we do not have in America, and maybe people in Australia want to give up those restrictions and be free. But who knows? no one does!

nah, we're not like americans, we craze over a good old barby not Mc's also i think we're more laid back. we don't celebrate halloween like americans do, the only thing that is sort of the same is that we all love each other .......... ^o)