xisto Community
RGPHNX

Windows "updates" Crashed Your Computer? How reliable is Windows OS ??

Has WindoZe "updates" ever crashed your computer??  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,judging from the many posts to the forums re: hardware & software problems... I posted this question:HOW MANY TIMES HAS A "UPDATE" downloaded directly from MSs website..CRASHED YOUR COMPUTER ???For our purposes here a "crash" is a major malfunction of any part of the Windows operation system.. such as Internet Explorer kept "freezing up".. after an update.A crash is anything you couldn't live with.. and you had to "Restore" OR even completely "re-install" the whole Windows OS to fix it.Another example would be all the problems that SP1 (service pack 1) created before MS released SP2 to correct the problems.ALL Comments, details & Poll entrys are appreciated.ThanksRGPHNX

Windows Update has never crashed for me - neither on Windows 98 nor on Windows XP. I guess it all depends on the speed of your processor and whether or not your processor can handle the updates or not...

Nope, my XP computer has been really good. Although on 98 it was frozen most of the time! I agree with snlildude it all depends on your processor. Obivously, if you have a virus, that may be causing that problem.

yeah i've had my XP crash on me after applying updates. though i'm inclined to think it had something to do with the hard disk also, and not just the software. i've got a toshiba hard disk that has given me irritation after irritation. i can't do anything with it, like multiple boots, or it crashes. one more reason to hate toshiba. Neways after installing SP2 i had several BSODs but after 4 reboots it kicked into gear, and since then i haven't had any problems.

The security updates from Windows Update has crashed my computer several times. XP service pack 2 was the majopr one because of my nVidia drivers, and the other one was when I let Windows Update install updated drivers for ny nVidia card. It affected performance that much that I needed to reformat my computer.

im using windows xp service pack 2, i have no problem with microsoft windows update and i would suggest you go for linux if you are looking for an operator syster that stable,faster and safer than windows, there are some linux version that are quite similar to windows, such as "kernel". although you will not say good bye to windows so soon, but i sure you will do so eventually. however i have a really smoth system since i upgraded my processor to AMD Athlon? 64 3500+ with abit mother board, its hardly ever to see my computer freeze or hang.

HI AGAIN ALL,nO. nO. nO. ...SOME OF YOU'ALL AREN'T READING THE QUESTION correctly.. so let me clarify...QUESTION:AFTER you have downloaded AND installed a new Windows "update" ..HOW MANY TIME HAS IT (IE. THE WINDOWS UPDATE) CRASHED YOUR COMPUTER ???My personal experience through helping hundreds of other people is that.. It's a fairly common event/occurance.No, I'm not looking for personal advice here.. I know what to do if this happens AND I personally run a multi/dual boot system (ie. Linux & Windows).. so it really doesn't cause major problems for me when MS$ messes up.RGPHNXPS- At this time...over seventy people have read this post so far.. BUT less than 10 have posted in the poll....Come ON people.. support the community.. thru sharing KNOWLEDGE !!!THANKS AGAIN

HI AGAIN ALL,

nO. nO. nO. ...SOME OF YOU'ALL AREN'T READING THE QUESTION correctly.. so let me clarify...

QUESTION:

AFTER you have downloaded AND installed a new Windows "update" ..

HOW MANY TIME HAS IT (IE. THE WINDOWS UPDATE) CRASHED YOUR COMPUTER ???

My personal experience through helping hundreds of other people is that.. It's a fairly common event/occurance.

No, I'm not looking for personal advice here.. I know what to do if this happens AND I personally run a multi/dual boot system (ie. Linux & Windows).. so it really doesn't cause major problems for me when MS$ messes up.

RGPHNX

PS- At this time...over seventy people have read this post so far.. BUT less than 10 have posted in the poll....

Come ON people.. support the community.. thru sharing KNOWLEDGE !!!

THANKS AGAIN

138516[/snapback]

After downloading a windows update, it has crashed my computer 0 (zero times). That's because my computer has a fast processor on Windows XP.

And on the poll topic, you should have made a better question, or a clearer question, in my opinion, because you asked if windows has crashed one's computer...not how many times one's computer has crashed due to a windows update. And then in the choices, you listed the many Windows Operating Systems, so the people who have viewed this page have no clue what this poll is on, therefore, they leave.

Hi all..

just a post to get this started poll again.

Anybody else have Windows crash ??

RGPHNX

139175[/snapback]

I have not had a windows crash on Windows XP.

os update crash!!not even window, but every os/software gotta bugs on first time or whenever releasing of updates.- can face crappy if not using licensed os. :( - yet there is no good hardware support, the os can crash.i happened this two in my life,- xp service pack 2 happened big bug when that time around- right now, os x bug with its very own quick time in update series..........yap, too wide to talk about :(

i havn't had any problems with the updates myabe its the fact that i have name brand computer that actually works.

My computer has never crashed. Ever. Sony VAIO. Updated to the fullest. Owns. My computer has never let me down.. never. And I'm hoping it never will. I'll leave it here in a few months to go to college and might trade it in for a lap top. I don't really wanna lose this computer though..

Hey snlildude87,

Frankly, I'm just a little bit confused as to the point of your post.

Just HOW much clearer do you have to make it ????

The POLL TITLE is

Windows "updates" Crashed Your Computer?

the #1 post thread says..

judging from the many posts to the forums re: hardware & software problems... I posted this question:

HOW MANY TIMES HAS A "UPDATE" downloaded directly from MSs website..

CRASHED YOUR COMPUTER ???

My subsequent post thread reads..

QUESTION:

AFTER you have downloaded AND installed a new Windows "update" ..

HOW MANY TIME HAS IT (IE. THE WINDOWS UPDATE) CRASHED YOUR COMPUTER ???[/QUOTE]

which is almost an exact paraphrase of your suggestion in your post.. and I quote

you should have made a better question, or a clearer question, in my opinion, because you asked if windows has crashed one's computer...not how many times one's computer has crashed due to a windows update

So maybe you can help me understand.. how your suggestion is relevant? Just what, specifically was the point ??

All understanding & knowledge is contextural. If you take my comments (or anyone elses) out of context you can make them say just about anything you want them to say...SO.. your entitled to your opinion.. BUT..

Please.. before you overly criticize my or any one elses post(s) or "split" linguistic semantic "hairs"..

Please...try to look at things in their totality.

Most of the previous posters "got it" ie. the intent & purpose of the poll.

Most of the previous posters gave thoughtful posts with relevant content.

This post was started to provide real insightful informative feedback to the members in this forum. I hope it will continue to benefit the members as additional people continue to post their personal experiences.

Hope this is clearer,

RGPHNX

windows update crashed my computer !Windows "updates" Crashed Your Computer?

I have a new laptop

acer  6920G with 250GB hard drive and a 4 GB ram with 2mb cache, so specs are not the issue.

after the latest windows update I did my computer completely froze after completion of updates and restart, it would not let me even type my password. After many failed attempts to fix the problem, I was forced to reformat C:/ drive to default factory settings.

it worked and the laptop was fixed, until I thought, ok now that everything is working, lets run windows update. After doing all the updates, my computer yet again crashed.

So I figured out it had to be windows update, because my laptop has never reacted like this, and for it to occur twice right after updates is too much of a coincidence.

NOTE that these updates were just of last week,  march 30 ,2009 

-reply by click2city

My Lap top has just crushed after downloading windows Service pack 2. HELP! Windows "updates" Crashed Your Computer?

Just downloaded and I can't  get  it started or rebooted! Could anybody help and let me know what steps could I follow to bring it back to life!

My lap top is ASUS Vista 250 GB Hard Drive, 4 GB Ram. It's only 9 months old!! How can I repair it without loosing all the stored data?

Many thanks

-reply by Zima2002