xisto Community
psyfish

Google.org? Do you know anything about this?

I was on my computer today and I was kinda board so I just decided to see what happend if I typed in google.org instead of google.ca. To my surprise, intsead of redirecting me to google.ca, it took me to a new website https://www.google.org/. I'm not exactly sure what it is, it seems to be a new part of google that they are making. There isn't a whole lot of information on the page. This is what it says on the page

This will be the future site of Google.org the philanthropic arm of Google. We are currently working on staffing as well as defining the goals, priorities, and principles of Google.org. We hope to have a lot more to share with you on this front in the coming year. Check back here for updates.

Does anyone know anything about this? you can check it out here:
google.org

Interesting. It looks authentic to me, no doubt about it. It's a folder from google.com But what on earth will google.org do? This is pretty mysterious. They probably thought no one will notice the page... Staffing inquiries? To become a staff of Google!? WOW! I wonder how much they'll pay and if they accept international applications. *Evil laugh*

Notice from s243a:
Edited at users request.
Edited by s243a (see edit history)

Thats quite interesting.. philanthropic activities from google.. finally someone thought of helping others instead of just making money.. Though it is just a thought right now.. I appreciate it...Lets see how they approach this and convert thought to action...Cheers.

Pehaps it is being made to offer all of googles servicessuch as gmail (when its finished beta) , obiusly the searchesand mabye other services google are going to make,and that .org will be a homesite if you know what i mean

Maybe Google want to have a social, non lucrative side. This will help them to keep a good image to all of us. I think they are quite afraid of becoming a hated figure like Microsoft.

This is a very interesting find, psyfish. I am very interested in seeing where Google takes this. It's amazing how many features Google has that people are not aware of (most, or all, betas, such as Video, Gmail, Maps, etc). I think that this idea of google.org would be that of a good one.

Anyone want to know what I think? Well your gonna know. I think that they just got the URL and the other stuff ready, then noticed that they don't have anything do with it. I got some hosting and everything here, then noticed I didn't need hosting for anything. -_- I dunno really. I guess the only thing google can now do is job searchings. They have maps and school searching. They have internet content searching, all they need is a job search thingy. :D

of course. may be, they'll have a non-profit organization, which will donate money and such, organize events for a better world or activities which raises their image, so they won't be hated (like mizako said)