xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
gunbound

Assign A Drive Letter To The Hard Drive...how? Particularly, to an external HD

I have an external hard drive, but every time it's used, it starts a new letter until my computer is restarted.

For example: it's on letter E: when I first turn it on. If I turn it off and turn it back on later, it will then give letter F:, then next time G:, then H:, etc.

The strangest thing is that the shortcuts I make to it will sometimes still work after letter changes, but sometimes not - I haven't figured that out yet.

How do you assign a permanent letter to a hard drive?

Note: I'm using WinXP Pro. No, it's not a problem with the OS. I have given a name to the device, but that didn't solve the problem.

You are the the man!Yeah, I think it worked, thanks so much.

I have 2 external 1 terra.b drives which i got the same prob for ian my cousine fixed it by doin summit.-No help, I know. I'll go cry.Thanks,FFC WebmasterAsad Haider.

Ughhh... crap! I was wrong, that didn't fix it. Still, when I restart my computer it will assign a new drive letter. This is annoying, there must be a way to get the computer or the external HD to remember its letter.

Someone help??!

I have the same problem with my USB/optical mouse - I have to take the USB cord out and put it back in each time my computer turns on, so the mouse can get signal. It sounds weird, but if I don't do that, then the mouse doesn't work...

may be you can go system applet, have a look if you external hd type is removal. if so, try change it type to fixed / internal, and re-assign drive letter. before go for the procedure, always backup you data first.- hope this help

I have the same problem with my USB/optical mouse - I have to take the USB cord out and put it back in each time my computer turns on, so the mouse can get signal. It sounds weird, but if I don't do that, then the mouse doesn't work...

137545[/snapback]

did you overclocking you computer? if so, unoverclocking you computer first, then, test to see if it work or not

- hope this help