xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
s243a

Appache (getting Started) (help)

I have just downloaded Appache because I wanted to test some multi-user web based games, lean some perl and php. Unfortunately I have no idea where to start. I don?t even know how to do the most basic thing like access a webpage though internet explorer on my own computer using Appache as an intermediately. What am I suppose to configure, where am I suppose to put the files, what I am suppose to type in the browser. Once I get that under control I would like to try some PHP and perl. I saw a tutorial for cgi so maybe once I get buy stage one I will be alright on my own.

Always check the tutorials forum before you post a question. (I know you're a moderator and I just joined, but this tutorial is only like the tenth tut down...) That genius tutorial by snlildude got me started with all my Apache and PHP. Not that I'm any good at PHP; I just started... Well anyways, I hope that helps -_-

Always check the tutorials forum before you post a question.  (I know you're a moderator and I just joined, but this tutorial is only like the tenth tut down...)  That genius tutorial by snlildude got me started with all my Apache and PHP.  Not that I'm any good at PHP; I just started...  Well anyways, I hope that helps -_-

136538[/snapback]

Even as moderators I hope we are still learning about what is the best for the form. I am a new moderator and I think I only have been a member since the seventh of December. I thank you for you suggestion. :D I did do a search for apache and found nothing . I must of spelled it wrong. I think this topic is still relevant because it is good to know of more then one source of information. Snlidldude topic testing scripts using the command prompt. I might prefer the graphical user interface. Also it is centered around php but I am going to try Perl first since I have a book on Perl and not php. That said snlidudes tutorial looks good and I will have to read it.

I think its 127.0.0.1 to access your computer,

Thank you very much. This seems like the most important information to start. I tried this and found that apache came with a fair bit of documentation. For some reason I couldnt find this documentation from the help menu. Perhaps they need to work on there help menu.

Edited by s243a (see edit history)

Snlidldude topic testing scripts using the command prompt. I might prefer the graphical user interface.

136689[/snapback]

There is a graphical user interface feature in XAMPP (my tutorial). If you scroll down to "Making it Work - The Easier Way", you'll see that all you need to get your Apache server up and working with XAMPP is with a simple click:

Go to your My Computer -> C: -> apachefriends -> XAMPP -> Double click on xampp-control.exe (should be the last file in that directory) -> Click the first two "Start" buttons (the last two are optional) -> Click on the X on the top right hand corner of the application.

Congratulations! You have just started Apache with PHP and MySQL on your computer in less than 5 minutes, and best of all, the big black console/DOS screen is not there. -_-

All you need to do is find xampp-control.exe and click the Start button on the GUI, and you'll be all set! :D

geee.. i dun have much experience about Apache running on window. but on osX and bsd, i've got few idea. :D i will try it out in window next month, hopefully if i can have some spare time....

Setting Up A Virtual Host in Apache might one of the important topic for running/using apache, i think! i will come back for this topic when i m on window -_-

and you might need these free dynamic ip forwarding service to test your site 1)dyndns.org or 2)Sitelutions or 3)Zoneedit and i'm using dyndns.org..

and Shields up also might need on your way of testing server port config. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ to access your router if you using router and wanna do port forwarding, firewall, etc... you might wanna check your internet speed/bandwidth and here is a good hung-out place for servering..

programming and scripting are other big story, i thought.

have fun!!!

Okay, thanks for all the help so far. I still am not successful. I tried typing http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ This is the demo perl script that comes with apache. It said I wasnt configured properly. I downloaded PXperl, because I thought I might need a version of perl on my computer. It still didnt work. I also downloaded mod_perl-1.29 because I thought you might need this to run perl on apache. I tried installing it by going to its director in the command prompt and typing:
perl makefile.pl

I get some errors like:
Cant open perl script \lib/ExtUtils/xsuppp: No such file or directory.

(You get this message, because MakeMaker could not find \lib\CORE\perl.h)

I am not sure what the second error means but I know \lib/ExtUtilsxsupp exists in PXperl. Is it no included in the search path properly of all perl scripts. How might I included it? Remember I am using windows XP if that helps.

After consulting other places, someone said the lazy way to set this stuff up is to download indigo perl. I went to the site and found that they already have a bunch of stuff put together. You download perl mod_perl, apache and php and my sql as one. I then tried running the test files and noticed that the first line in printenv.pl was:
#!c:/Perl/bin/Perl.exe
While the first line in helloschi.pl was:
#!perl
I changed the first line in printenv.pl to #!perl and found it worked. The php test worked after uncommenting the dll in the configure file that they suggested. However mysql.pl didnt work. Oh, well at least I got something working now. I wonder if I my previous instillation was correct and all I had to do is change the first line. I assume the first line says what prompt command to use to call perl.