xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shigajet

Second Essay On My Life In Japan

Hi all. I'm back again with the second essay that I wrote back at the end of 2001 / early 2002. This time the focus was more on my work experience since the first essay and on the tremendous support I received when I had to stay in a local hospital. So...without further ado, read on and feel free to leave a comment or two.

An Important Experience

In the past year and a half since I first landed in Japan, I went through many experiences, faced new challenges, met many different people and learned many things. The people of Imazu are just as friendly as they were when I first came here, and most of the things that were once strange and unfamiliar to me has now become familiar. At my school, I discovered that my students are extremely active and outgoing most of the time (outside of class) - very far from the preconception I had of Japanese students being "shy". They always try to talk to me in English - both inside and outside of class. The teachers here continue to make sure that my stay in Imazu is an enjoyable one and I really can't thank them enough. Slowly, but surely, Japan is starting to feel like my home away from home.

There was one experience that really hit home about how hospitable and caring the people are here. Last spring, I came down with a serious illness and had to stay in a hospital for about a week. As miserable and tired as I felt at the time, everyone has rallied around to do everything they could to help me. The teachers visited me to give their support and best wishes. Some people even went through the trouble to bring over some home-cooked meals and new clothes for me. Even now, long after I fully recovered, in my mind I could almost hear the vice-principal asking me about my health again. Sometimes, it felt like I found a "second family" in Japan because the staff was so concerned about me. I believe this experience proved to me that no matter what country you live in, there will always be people who will help you when you are down.

Hi all. I'm back again with the second essay that I wrote back at the end of 2001 / early 2002. This time the focus was more on my work experience since the first essay and on the tremendous support I received when I had to stay in a local hospital. So...without further ado, read on and feel free to leave a comment or two.

An Important Experience

In the past year and a half since I first landed in Japan, I went through many experiences, faced new challenges, met many different people and learned many things. The people of Imazu are just as friendly as they were when I first came here, and most of the things that were once strange and unfamiliar to me has now become familiar. At my school, I discovered that my students are extremely active and outgoing most of the time (outside of class) - very far from the preconception I had of Japanese students being "shy". They always try to talk to me in English - both inside and outside of class. The teachers here continue to make sure that my stay in Imazu is an enjoyable one and I really can't thank them enough. Slowly, but surely, Japan is starting to feel like my home away from home.

There was one experience that really hit home about how hospitable and caring the people are here. Last spring, I came down with a serious illness and had to stay in a hospital for about a week. As miserable and tired as I felt at the time, everyone has rallied around to do everything they could to help me. The teachers visited me to give their support and best wishes. Some people even went through the trouble to bring over some home-cooked meals and new clothes for me. Even now, long after I fully recovered, in my mind I could almost hear the vice-principal asking me about my health again. Sometimes, it felt like I found a "second family" in Japan because the staff was so concerned about me. I believe this experience proved to me that no matter what country you live in, there will always be people who will help you when you are down.

136009[/snapback]

interesting essay. -_- i didn't read the first, though. Do you go to college in Japan?

Actually, the two essays I posted in this forum are from my experiences working and living in Japan as an English teacher on the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program. The first essay mainly talked about my adjustment from living in a big city to living in a small town. This one basically recalls what happened several months later as I headed into my second year of the program. I have another essay to post here soon...and eventually I'll include them in a page about my writings.

Actually, the two essays I posted in this forum are from my experiences working and living in Japan as an English teacher on the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) Program. The first essay mainly talked about my adjustment from living in a big city to living in a small town. This one basically recalls what happened several months later as I headed into my second year of the program. I have another essay to post here soon...and eventually I'll include them in a page about my writings.

136513[/snapback]

i seeeee. cool. good stuff.