xisto Community
ameribass

Nokia Unveils New Phones cell phones

Nokia unveils premium line of phones

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (Reuters) -- Nokia unveiled new premium phones on Wednesday that included one with an MP3 music player that it said will outsell Apple's iPod and a camera phone that it forecast will surpass Canon, the world's top digital camera maker.

Nokia unveiled its N91 multimedia phone, which will have a 4-gigabyte hard drive that can store thousands of music files. The phone, which will also run on high-speed 3G and wireless LAN networks, is due out by the end of the year.

Nokia said its other new phones, the N90 and the N70, will have two-megapixel cameras with high quality Carl Zeiss lenses. The N90 will be in shops in the second quarter at a price of around 600 euros ($784), while the N70, also a 3G phone, will hit the shelves in the third quarter. Apple's original iPod retails for about 319 euros in Europe while Canon's cameras start at less than half the cost of the N90.

"Now there's no need to take a separate camera with you to make pictures," he said as he pointed to the Zeiss lenses also used in high-quality standalone cameras.

The hard disk-based music phone would have been launched sooner but Nokia is still working with Microsoft and its online partner OD2 to develop a music download service for mobile devices, Vanjoki told Reuters in an interview.

"But it will be this year. We're not going to miss Christmas," he said.

Nokia is also confident there will be an open standard for digital music protection, which it intends to use in its phones. Nokia does not want to use a proprietary format from Microsoft, despite an ongoing argument between the mobile phone industry and a handful of patent holders of key anti-piracy technology, he said.

read more (cnn.com)

What do you think about the new Nokia phone?
Will it live up to its expectations?

i'm a nokia fan. The idea of the phone is pretty good. my whol thing is well nokio be able to compete with sony ericson phones now, because they're getting the popularity along wid nextel. Motorola and nokia have a lot of catching up to do i think.

Wow!! 4 gig, that's a full boost of space with 3g technology, even bigger than Gmail!! I believe that defeats the purpose of MMC unless they make a bigger size mmc.... wonder how does the phone looks like, and it's model number is 2 digit...

Yeah! These new phones are really cool! I think I would sell my nokia 7600 and buy me one of the new nokias.4 gigabytes of space...pretty much... I don't think that I would use all this space

$784 for one gadget that can play mp3 4gigs, a camera, phone, video (3G)... is it cheaper that nokia 9500?

Wow. That phone sounds amazing! $748 is a bit expensive though. I don't have the money for it and I probably wouldn't buy one if I did but this phone will probably set the standard for all of the other expensive phones.

Is it out yet at other countries? I dont find it locally yet... And that news is stating about Netherlands only...

In one of the popular web portals in India, one article reads like this, "Nokia latest phone is NO phone' simply because it has so many functions as mp3 player, camera, a sort of PDA, so on and so forth. I think Nokia will continue to dominate the phone market in the world. In fact, this Finland's pride company - Nokia was just a small village name until the phone company came into existence. However many people thought Nokia is from the USA. I like Nokia phones too. The latest version also shows its dominance in the same field.

I like nokias, but unless they make a counterpart of my Nokia 6820 (http://www.nokia.com/en_int) with the flip-out qwerty keyboard, I won't be buying any of their new high-tech models.I love the way my Nokia can be used to write text messages in seconds which usually take people up to 5 mins :rolleyes:But another feature i'ld like to see on a Nokia is Windows Mobile Edition. I know Nokia has a pretty stable OS already, but it lacks some functionalities that Windows boasts.It'll probably never happen, but i'ld like to see windows on a mobile that has the versitility of a Nokia.