xisto Community
shigajet

Composition: My New Life In Imazu-cho

Here's the first composition I wrote shortly after I arrived in Japan. I started out living in a town of 13,000 people and this little story reflected my thoughts. It's also a bit of a preview of what you'll see on one of the pages when my website is up. Feel free to read and leave a comment.My New Life in Imazu-choOriginally written: January 2001Edited: June 2003Since I arrived in Japan in late September last year, I encountered many new places and made several interesting discoveries about the country. Perhaps the most important discovery for me here is a greater appreciation for life in the countryside. Having lived in a big city for most of my life back home, I wasn't sure if I would be able to adapt easily to a rural environment. However, shortly after I started my new life in Imazu-cho in Shiga prefecture, I adjusted to my new surroundings very well. Life in a small town seems less complicated, and there is a strong sense of community. The people here are very supportive and will go out of their way to help me if I have any problems. As well, many of the essential services - form the grocery store to the train station to the bank - are within walking distance from my apartment.Most of all, there is something very comforting about being surrounded by nature. Every time I stop to take in the view of the mountains every morning on the way to school, or gaze at the other side of Lake Biwa on a clear day, I feel much more at ease. During a recent school excursion, I truly began to appreciate how beautiful the countryside could be when viewed from the top of a mountain. These few experiences of living in a rural area are just the first of many more to come, and they have raised my interest in visiting more of Japan's quiter areas in my travel plans. Japan does indeed have two sides: the crowded environment in such urban jungles like Tokyo and Osaka, and the quieter, more traditional small towns and farms in the countryside. Thankfully, I am glad to say that it is the rural side of Japan for which I developed a strong appreciation over these past few months.

Really good,You really let your..erm..feelings flow. -_- What does it mean by edited-You wrote it and changed it or gor it and changed it?[Dont have to answer]Thanks Anyway,Keep writing.

Glad to hear your feedback, mbd5882.I wrote everything myself. My short piece originally appeared in a collection of essays from all the Japan Exchange and Teaching (JET) participants in Shiga prefecture. I just made some minor corrections when I wanted to present it on a webpage of my writings and speeches.

Yeah..very interesting essay...although a little short. Wished it could have been longer. I guess this is somesort of a personal reflection than a composition?Really enjoyed reading it. I read your second one too...but I commented in this thread anyway. What country are you originally from? How different is life in Japan from your home country? What subjects do you teach?Don't really have to asswer them though....just thought it would be interesting to know.-Shackman

Hi, Shackman. Thanks for reading my essays. Since I'm here going through the forums again I thought I'd answer some of your questions. You are correct in that the two essays I wrote were more for personal reflection...something to look back on later on in life.Anyway, I'm orginally from Canada (born in Ottawa, Ontario). I'm an English teacher at an elementary school in Western Japan. The differences between Japan and Canada kinda blur after you settle down to a routine, but here are some of them. First off - most homes in Japan don't have central heating (except in Hokkaido)...meaning that in the winter it could be as cold (or colder) in the apartment as outside, Japan also has an efficient, punctual and safe (for the most part) railway system, the cost of living/groceries is also a bit higher than that of Canada, and moving can get quite expensive as well.I'm sure there are more differences (both on the surface and underneath (the not so obvious) but those are the first that came off the top of my head.I'll be posting the third "reflection" essay up soon. Hope you'll be back for that.