xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Munchie

The 'index.html' File Some help please :)

Ok when I enter my website address '...ork.trap17.com' I get the page where it says Welcome to your hosting account. But instead of that I want it to be my forum index which means I have to had '/index.php' on the end. How can I get rid of that page and make it my forum index?I have the index.php place in the public_html folder and have deleted all instances of index.html nearly 24 hours ago.:lol:~ Munchie ~

First off, you are not supposed to edit the public_html folder and its contents, it is linked to the www folder, in which you should delet the index.html, and then upload the index.php, or you can just make a redirect from index.html to forums/index.php or were ever your forum is located.

Notice from moonwitch:
I hate to do this, but this advice is wrong, the reason I have to put this here, is simply because it will confuse members.
Edited by moonwitch (see edit history)

www is shortcut to public_html.. It is ok.. unless u dont change the folder name or edit their permissions..

Thought so but why is the welcome page still coming up when it shouldnt exist?

134624[/snapback]

Hi munchie (I thought saying hi would be nice :))

Anyways, just delete the index.html file in your public_html folder. And have your files uploaded, that's all you have to do. Just don't touch the permission of the public_html folder and whatever you do, don't touch the www link. Mainly because when you change that shortcut, your account can end up messed up. :lol: (Believe me, I once did that on my old school server and basically trashed their website LOL)

Hey :lol:I deleted the index.html from the public_html folder then uploaded my forum but it still comes up.I also deleted a index.html from the folder before where it displays public_html and www etc. Could that of coursed it?

well i somehow got rid of mine aint got a clue how but i kinda was messin bout with the files and i deleted all files in public_html and i just uploading my files now and seems to be gone :lol: yay

Dear Munchie

Use this as a last resort to your problem:

First, upload a simple index.htm or index.html file (whichever your extension choosing) and see if that page comes up as a default page. For example, you make a simple index page that says, "it works". You type your http://www.yourdomain.com/ and that page shows up. You now at least know that your file directories are intact and works as it should. If not, you may need Xisto to "reset" your directory.

*NOTE: as a UNIX based directory listing, whatever or wherever your index is located, the default directory ALWAYS is /public_html. Therefore your parent directory's (where you see /public_html) index file does not affect your webpage display.

Second, (again as a last resort) write a simple java script in your index.htm (.html) file redirecting to index.php. I understand that our server will support index.php as a default page (when no other index files are present--this is the key) but, again use this method as your last resort.

If you have question regarding redirect script, let me (us) know.

Cheers.