xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
eXtreme

Virus, Adware, Spyware.. What Next? To think :) about virus :(

We all know virus, spyware, adware, malware, all of them just exist to give us a headache. It's getting worst everyday. First there were the simple virus that would spread thu floppy's in the MS-DOS time.Then came the internet and virus became more popular.. anti-virus company's needed to update their base daily to fight to all the new threats coming each day..Then came the "hackers" and everyone needed to submit their PC's to the intrusive firewall rules.. (How many people had problems when setting up a LAN when behind a firewall? Lots of them, really)Then came the spyware, adware, malware and everything bad that ends in "ware".. ppl need tu run weekly or even daily to mantain their PC's clean from browser's hijacks and all another stuff...Really i just ask myself.. What's next? virus that blow hardware?

Well, the last virus warning we heard was some "power point" presentation but would end up wiping one's entire HD. I'm not sure what the next threat would be, but I'm going to be over-cautious of what's out there. I already know enough not to open suspect attachments in an e-mail from someone I don't know.

I really have no clue of what comes next, but no matter what it will be, I will hate it! I remember the times when I have used IE (it was like a nightmare). It was so terrible I can't understand why people program such things like adware. Only for the reason that it will do some damage on someones pc? This is such a waste of time. I mean if I would be so talented or have the skills to program complex spyware or viruses it would be a huge waste of time for me to program a virus that will infect other pc's (even if I would like the fact that I can damage the property of someone).I don't know what is coming up next, but I'm grateful that I have found Firefox :lol:.

The next thing hmmmit will be a real pain to get rid of the next Internet 'Apocalpse' LOLconsidering the software to remove/ stop it would take ages to make lol,theres a new thing, for 56k's or any dial ups ,its a pop-up where, it says uve won a holiday , it tells u phone number and tells u ur ip (as far as i know) it doesnt matter if u clik it or not but apparentlyit auto dials your phone to this company, and your constantly being charges for the calls u dont make lol,youve probabl heard of this, what im getting at is,WILL THEY FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT WITH BROADBAND WILL THIS BE THE NEXT TERROR.God knows whats next :lol:

WILL THEY FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO IT WITH BROADBAND

WILL THIS BE THE NEXT TERROR.

134674[/snapback]

You know, speaking of broadband, I just got Vonage where you use your internet to VoIP? Now, my plan includes domestic long distance calls. But... what if the dialer software prompts my Vonage to dial to Europe? And the calling charge goes to my Vonage account where I don't have the international calling plan?

Or even worse! It dials that awful XXX number and charges to my account without my knowledge? What then?

Holy crap! I think I'm going to disconnect my Vonage at this time...

"I say good day!" - FES

Why make a virus? You don't become rich by doing it, everyone hates you... They must be seriously anti-social people. I spent some time contemplating on this when I got infected before. Why on earth will anyone do this? It's not like they gain something, they just cause a destructive chain reaction of destruction.Adware? Yeah, people hardly ever use their ads. We all hate those those pop-up ads especially when they show up in the most annoying of times. Those adware programs... Once, I got bombarded with tons of pop-ups (Firefox didn't exist then) I screamed my head off and grabbed my hair. It was driving me nuts.eXtreme, don't forget TROJANS! Your privacy has been breached. Once I had a Trojan, and my computer kept shutting down when I was connected to the net. I figured someone was controlling the computer and shutting it down. Oddly enough it was from REMOTE ASSISTANCE! (The one XP has) I never used that! I never agreed for someone to access my computer! Those "conveniences" Windows offers, sometimes paves a wide road for security loss. This is terrible.

wel maybe i should get firefox......but then i have to install all the plugins again :/....every time i restart of my spybot S&D dosent check for spyware and delete wget.trojan (a trojan) my computer freezes on startup -_- the thing is i have no idea what website i keep going to wget comes from....a while back my norton told me to screw off and i had to uninstall it due to licens agreement embreechment so it wouldent run...aat that same time my word locks all documents loaded into it so i cant edit them :D

Its scary to think what could be next. I have never had a virus (touch wood) and i dont know the consiquences of it but i do not want one. I have an upto date firewall,Anti Spyware,Ad-aware,Antivirus and they are all upto date also my Microsoft Windows XP is all updates with also security patches. I have set my security gear to run once a day just to be that more safer and secure. If i do get a virus it should catch it out but you never know. Virus's have come that far i dont know what is coming next maybe things that can trace your mailing address and spam your letter box.

I remember the days when viruses spread on Floppy Disks.Well, presently I find myself to be a rather secure computer user. I dont open any attachments, watch what my friends send me over MSN, run weekly scans, and have a virus protection that continually updates itself in the background. And run two firewalls, a software one Norton Firewall, and a Hardware one. Have Ad Aware installed and do monthly scans.Also, make the switch to FireFox, everything is better in that browser, no more browser hi-jacks anymore, or ActiveX scripts -_-

I use Firefox too. I didn't reach those floppy disc virus time, but up until now, when I have this floppy, everyone gets suspicious and scans it first. I was young (about 6-8) when I asked my mom why she's wary of Floppy Discs. She told me there might be a virus. Those days, the Floppy Viruses were declining due to the rise of the internet. I never experienced a Floppy Virus. I don't think people will use CDs as a way of sending viruses because it's much slower. The internet sends viruses with the click of a button.Next thing you know, a virus that ruins the motherboard. (I don't know how that's possible, but I'm thinking it'll be a chain reaction starting from the software to the hardware)I shudder to think. *freezes*

Back again! A friend of mine once told me that a good safegaurd against viruses, adware, spyware, etc. is to get a Mac. Since these bugs tend to target Windows machines (which is most of the PC market), Mac doesn't seem to get any of these viruses. Needless to say, my friend owns a Mac. So what I want to know is whether this is true or not. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That's a good idea, but most people would rather go for compatibility, as most programs are for Windows. I'm not sure about Linux, though. Linux is after Windows.

I know that all the new adware and virus out know make the internet not as safe as always has been. When surfing the internet you can expect to be open to the virus and secruity risks. The best thing to do is to have a firewall to protect you from open ports and run a an adware and spyware program to get rid of any spam you might of got. I usually have a program run when i go to bed, i time everything and it seems to work out good. I dont think we will have any problems, every virus that comes out eventually gets patched, although some viruses could cause seroius problems while they last, the programs will get patched. The adware and spyware can cause alot of problems as well with installing programs that could steal credit card numbers track your computer and install harmful viruses. these should all be taken seriously and many people leave their computer vulerable to these viruses without even noticing it.