xisto Community
icemarle

Rollover Question

Ir's about Frontpage's DHTML Effects thing. You can make rollovers using that, right? Anyway, when I tested the rolloves offline, It worked! But when I uploaded it, it won't work. Is there something I did wrong? What should I do? I'm new at creating rollovers.
In fact, this is my first time.

Rollover Page
Please see what's wrong. It's suppose have a stroke effect on the text in the picture.

When you generate DHTML rollovers in frontpage, Frontpage should prompt you to save a seperate javascript file when you exit the program.

I took a look at your page coding and saw this:

</script><script language="JavaScript1.2" fptype="dynamicanimation" src="file:///C:/Program%20Files/Microsoft%20Office/Office10/fpclass/animate.js"></script>

right now, your javscript file is sitting in your hardrive, so your website's DHTML doesn't work. this means that you need to upload your animate.js to the same directory of your i2sl4.html, and also, change the coding:

file:///C:/Program%20Files/Microsoft%20Office/Office10/fpclass/animate.js

to just:

animate.js

If you need anymore help, just give me a PM. :lol:

-whyme

Got it. :lol:

<script language="JavaScript1.2" fptype="dynamicanimation" src="file:///C:/Program%20Files/Microsoft%20Office/Office10/fpclass/animate.js">

You are loading the file animate.js from your home computer, which is very illegal because people cannot access your files, so you have to upload animate.js and call it something like this:
<script language="JavaScript1.2" fptype="dynamicanimation" src="animate.js">

:)

Well, I see two folks beat me to it :)

Anyhow, to prevent things like this in the future, make sure you select RELATIVE links and not ABSOLUTE... OR do the coding in a different WYSIWYG editor. (WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get). My suggestion for this is a freebie called 1rst Page 2000. You can download it here. It will generate better pages, as Frontpage tends to mess up most pages. Believe me, you're better off looking at other editors. When you think you're ready for the leap into code, notepad is your friend :lol:

Frontpage also creates sluggish pages because of a bad coding style.

Yes. I placed it in the same folder. Maybe it's something written in the animate.js? I don't know JavaScript. In fact, I'm scared of learning Javascript. I was too attched to HTML, so I dont know what to do with it.

Animate.js

Too bad about the edit button. But when I seriously need to edit something I have to report it? Well, at least now I know. It'll save me from double-posting.

Hmm, I'm looking at your rollover code, and it's definately harder than it's meant to be. I'll tell you what, give me the URLs of the images (before mouse over and on mouse over), and I'll write the code for you to make it work. :lol:About the report thing, yes, reporting your own post is 10 times better than double posting. We encourage members to do so because it uses less sql space.

Images

Oh, please don't use the layer-2-DOWN images. I only want the over and the normal images.

Thanks! :lol: Sorry for the trouble.
Oh, why did I place the down images in the first place? I guess I was lazy, and just copy pasted it. :)

There are two ways that I can think of, and each will ultimately make your image size smaller.

1. Decrease the size of the image (dimensions) (recommended)
2. Decrease its quality (not recommended because it would be a huge turn off for your visitors)
3. Save the pics as png

You can always make the buttons smaller by resizing it using a program like Microsoft Image Resizer

Microsoft Paint does a very nice job of decreasing image sizes. Simply save it as a .jpg file. :lol:

OR! You can save your pictures are png files. I find that large png files take less than 100 KB of space whereas large jpg files can take up to 1 megabyte. Huge difference.

I don't suggest using a program to convert the image to a png file because conversions are not always smooth...I say just make the image from scratch in Paint, and save it as a png file that way.

There is a fourth option, and that is making a preloader, but I don't know how to do that. :)

I'm going to go with Microsoft Image resizer. I'll let you know when it's done. Thanks! (Yeah, the files are pretty big, I was lazy again) *Kicks self* Tells self: "Get motivated you fool!"