xisto Community
emperor

What's Your Favourite Book? Why? A small investigation about most popular books

How many books do you read each year  

92 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The question is very simple, what is your favourite boook? And why? I have also added a small pool about how many books do you read each year.Anyway my favourite is L.A. Confidential written by James Ellroy.It's a very good police story with a intriguing plot, but it's also a masterpiece of politic and social analize. The power games of institutions, the corruption that have attacked police and government and the general undeground atmosphere are the pillars fo this beautiful book. It isn't a simply police book, but a fresco of a society and of a period of the US history.

I like to read textbooks and biographies, mostly. My favorite book is called I Was Right On Time by Buck O'Neil. If you've seen Ken Burns' "Baseball" you know who he is.

This is a very entertaining and inspirational book about a man who played in baseball's old negro leagues, a great history of a part of baseball that people don't get to see all of the time.

Do comic books count? I read dozens of those each year :lol: But I don't read books that much, in school I read so many boring books, there are no books that seem interesting. But I'm into Shakephere's plays (I read them in books). I like A midsummer's night dream, it's a nice story <3. Most of the time, I read fanfictions made by teens. Those are much easier for me to understand, and most of the time I'm on my computer anyways.

lets seee im getting into the forgettom realms series pretty good star wars i got almost every book you could think ofand the ultmate hacker book called Wyrm :lol:

I'm reading about one book per week but made a break for my graduation tests in the first two weeks of May :/ (but after this, I've got much more time to read :lol:)my current favorite book is "No Logo!" by Naomi Klein, an independent journalist who spent quite some time researching on how multinational companies act in order to maximize profits (sweatshops, McTemp-jobs, etc etc) and countermovements like the culture jammers (people who use some big company's advertising and twist it to reveal the truth behind it - either by using the same picture but a different slogan or by using the same slogan with a different picture or just some minor changes to a slogan/picure, for example Nike's "Just do it." and "Justice - Do it, Nike!").In my opinion these 450 pages were definitely worth the 10 bucks I spent on it (it happened to me that I spent 13 bucks on 150 pages which were crap :/)...

i would say my fav book is "gone with the wind" by margret mitchell.i love that book to pieces, though she made black ppl look like fools who didn't know thier left from right... [anyway so my frind says], but she is "americanised", i am not pure african, and i don't frigging care what she had to say abt that.i loved scarletts' courage, and plaiin out nastiness. she reminds me of myself... a lot. so... i would go as far to say that i like the book based on vanity reasons. yup! :lol:

If your into kiddie reading you should read the harry potter series. Lol. I liked reading Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beacher Stowe. OR if you into sci fi stuff read "The Giver", "1984", and "Brave New World". Just the whole possible future thing is cool to me. These books they talk about totalitarianism and like controlling you at birth so you are born into this "caste system" society.

I've read all of these books, cookies ... and they're all great for their genre =)Michael: Tell me more about Wyrm, I just noticed it in the stack of books I'm going to read when I'm done with my exams :lol:

My favorite book is David Copperfield. The book is amazing..the author changed diction everytime a new character spoke..so you get the feel of what the character is about. The book is long but it's very easy to follow. I love how there are nested plots inside of the major plot because it ties all the characters together.

The question is very simple, what is your favourite boook? And why?

The most influential book I have come across is The Catcher In The Rye by J.D. Salinger. Perhaps it was introduced to be by the greatest 7th grade teacher (United States grade system-a.k.a. middle school). Perhaps it was the way she took the time to explore the fire of the author when he conveyed the message. Perhaps it was the way the sun hit the glass window and illuminated her beautiful, long, blonde hair...ha ha ha.

I think most of us remember the very "first" things. And my very first crush was my 7th grade teacher (but I assure you that I am no pervert). The way the main character swung from one extreme emotion to the next; I felt the book was a direct reflection of my troubled soon to be teenage years. "Everyone's a phony." I had the rage. I had this sickening feeling that my life would be over by the time I reached 17 years of age. I had a premonition that the entire world would be on flame by the year 1999. Boy is my face red now.

Adolescent is a strange time during one's life time. One builds, and rebuilds one's self image in order to find out how one fits into this society. I think this book explained the course of adolescent's journey and that's why I have the fondest memory for this book.

Christopher

It's hard for me to pick a single favourite book, but I'll list a few ones off the top of my head that I really liked:

The Hobbit (J.R.R. Tolkien) - one fo the best fantasy adventures ever - and a great precursor to the LOTR series

A Wild Sheep Chase and Dance Dance Dance (Haruki Murakami) - very surreal story set (for the most part) in Hokkaido. A fine example of post-modern literature.

Learning to Bow (Bruce S. Feiler) - A fine insight of a teacher's experiences in Japan while teaching English at a junior high school. Although by now it seems a bit dated (the book was published in the early 90's), a lot of what the writer observed still holds true in some ways today.

I read about 6-9 books a year, and my favorite would have to be Where the Red Fern Grows by someone Wilson. I forgot the first name, sorry!

I read it a few years ago, so it may not be my favorite if I read it again, but it's my favorite book for now :lol:

The Catcher in the rye is my favorite book just like BuffaloHELP (Bless your heart if this is really your REAL name -_- ). I read it when I was 16 maybe 17 when I was angsty and mad about something. I just related to the main character Holden Caulfield because I found myself being sick of all the things in my life then. It was written in the 50's by JD Salinger but I'm surprised he wasn't stingy about using profanity and bad language. I thought the 50's was more strict and conservative. :D