xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Carsten

Css Trick: Hide Disabled Internet Explorer Vertical Scrollbar

I'm working on a website and a few minutes ago I got very tired from the Internet Explorer vertical scrollbar. This vertical scrollbar is always there, even if the length of the page does not require a vertical scrollbar. In this case, Internet Explorer will disable the scrollbar though not remove it. In my opinion this would be correct behaviour.

The disabled however not hidden scrollbar means that a switch between a preview of your website in Mozilla Firefox and MS Internet Explorer will lead to an annoying change of the location of your layout. To disable this annoying switch and to hide the vertical scrollbar when the scrollbar is disabled anyway, put the following CSS code in your stylesheet:

html {	overflow: auto;}
If you don't have a stylesheet yet, put this code in your html header:
<style type="text/css">html {	overflow: auto;}</style>

Not much code needed, huh :lol:

Also, if your site it pushing it (like mine - beeseven.trap17.com - trying viewing it in IE and you get 2 scroll bars), but you know nothing goes offscreen that you need, you can use "overflow: hidden;" and it won't put the scroll bars there even if something goes off (or it thinks something does).

my website has this code,..you've given but I'm still having no luck,...theres also a concern about hiding images when viewing with IE, does anyone have a good resource.heres my site that I need no scroll bars on the lower (frame, yea I hate frames too)redescape.net/dj_hertz/index.html -dave

This suggestion is very helpful for those who are developing web application for both IE and Mozila Browser.Thanks Buddy.-Suresh Kumar Pathak

That's pretty cool. I've been trying to find good tutorials on making stuff work for IE, like the position:fixed; thing, but a lot of them either take a lot of code, or they don't work.I think people should just stop using IE and all go to FF.But I guess I could use that on my pages for all the people that still use IE.

When you think that the content doesn't even require a vertical scrollbar you might have used a iframe or a <div> with text in it that will exceed the total length...There just isn't a solution?!?...So you will have to learn to live with a vertical scrollbar. Is that it?I have used the html{overflow:hidden;} 'trick', but this doesn't' work in IE6 or IE7, only Mozilla browsers seem to get rid of the vertical scrollbar. To be sure I have put it in the external CSS and also inline in the <head> of my pages. But whatever I do there always is a vertical scrollbar...Is this just me?-Erick Schluter

Erick - I was having no luck with html{overflow:auto;} either until I added it to the "body" in css:Html, body {Overflow:auto;}-Keith Bucklen

Scrollbar goes away, but...

Scrollbar goes away, but my DIVs go crazy with that CSS option... Is there any other way to remove that damned scrollbar?

-reply by Zorba

A bit dirty but works ;-)SCROLLBAR-FACE-COLOR: #FFFFFF;SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: #FFFFFF;SCROLLBAR-SHADOW-COLOR: #FFFFFF;SCROLLBAR-3DLIGHT-COLOR: #FFFFFF;SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #000066;SCROLLBAR-TRACK-COLOR: #FFFFFF;SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: #FFFFFF;SCROLLBAR-BASE-COLOR: #FFFFFF;Piglet

Try using this in the cssOverflow-y:hidden; (vertical scroll bar)Overflow-x:hidden; (hide horizontal scroll bar)-reply by mehreen

works for me

Overflow-y:hidden; (vertical scroll bar)

Overflow-x:hidden; (hide horizontal scroll bar)

^^ this worked perfectly for me.

-reply by tikistar