xisto Community
scab_dog

Email Fraud Dont get tricked

I have recently recived a Email from "PayPal", and is clearly visibel that its not them, Dont get Folled by fake Emails, One of the Emails I Recived is:

Dear valued PayPalŽ Member 

It has come to our attention that your

PayPalŽaccount information needs to be updated as part of our continuing commitment

to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could

please take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal records

you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

You must click the link below and enter your password on the following page to Update

your informations.

Click here to Update your account

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension. Please

update your records on or before:

Buy from an online auction

Pay on a merchant website

Send money to anyone with an email address

Protect Your Account Info

Make sure you never provide your password to fraudulent websites.

To safely and securely access the PayPal website or your account, open a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Netscape) and type in the PayPal URL (https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/home) to be sure you are on the real PayPal site.

PayPal will never ask you to enter your password in an email.

For more information on protecting yourself from fraud, please review our Security

Tips at https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/online-security-guide

Protect Your Password

You should never give your PayPal password to anyone, including PayPal employees.

When I recived the message GMail said:

Warning: This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal information. Learn more.

This Information Cant Be True, I dont Even have a Paypal Account, So yeah dont get tricked!!

Has anything like this happened to yoy?

Notice from Johnny:
Fixed your quote. You just had the end tag's / backwards.

Edited by Johnny (see edit history)

I receive this thing too... I was also wondering why paypal sent me this when I also dont have any account.. Any idea who done it?

check the email header and send a copy to paypal so they're aware of the fraud. I've been getting tons of these for like everything right. I got one that said it was from msn, yahoo, paypal even my bank and other banks. Had a not so bright friend who actually used the link that's in the email and signed into his account and surprise surprise he lost it right after that. Whoever it was that sent the email got his info and changed his password so he wasn't able to log back in. Of course we all thought it was funny.
round

These email fraudsters have been getting increasingly sophisticated. I've had 2 HTML emails recently from banks which had all the right logos & graphics and came from what looks like an authentic email address (e.g. info@nameofthebank.com). The only thing is, I don't have accounts with those banks so knew straight away something was up. But if I was with one of those banks, there'd be no way of telling it was a fake.

So best practice seems to be to view ALL emails relating to finances, banks etc with suspicion until you can prove otherwise.

you know i would send them bogus info with lots of swear words and spam the crap out of them.

This is why I never giveout my real email addess to anyone, mainly because you can get Fraud so easily.I have seperate emails for everything, even a dedicated email for spam emails to go to, so I dont get that spam in my inbox.I havent gotten an email like that yet, but I also dont have a PayPal account.

you know i would send them bogus info with lots of swear words and spam the crap out of them.

I got one of them emails about some guy who's got loads of money but it's all tied up and he needs your help to get the funds out of the country (he claimed he was Fillipino instead of Nigerian for a change) and asked for contact details to discuss the deal, so I sent him the phone number of the Australian Federal Police's on-line fraud deparment. :P

Paypal Scam? I don't have Paypal, but still, those fraud people should get a life. It's a pretty obvious scam, and still (sadly) some people still fall for them.

---
I remember the Nigerian Scam email (I hear about people falling for it). I got one. And I replied (LOL) I said, I won't accept anything. They replied ignoring my message and told me to dial a number and they were keen to have me fall for it, too bad. Didn't they read my email? I said I won't have it happen. I'm starting to think those where computer generated mails.

(he claimed he was Fillipino instead of Nigerian for a change)

Really? I live in the Philippines, so that got me so upset. I wonder how it'll feel to recieve an email about a guy wanting to transfer money from the Philippines, and you LIVE in the Philippines. Anyway Tyssen, I really want to see that email. I hope you didn't delete it! I could report that to the local police, although I highly doubt they'll take much action. It's not FBI quality :P. But that was interesting.

I got an e-mail similar to this like someone hacked my account but I DON'T got an account at PayPal. I also check the addresses, did not match. Also notice the layout was slightly different (you have to compare the two pages). It was the first fraud e-mail I found out about. We all know PayPal will not ask you to re-active your account (or something like that).

oops, i also got the same mail from paypal.. and i was wondering when i opened account with Paypal? :P after reading all these post i am scared now. My bank is BankMuscat and now a days they are trying to convince me for an internet banking account. Now i will think 100 times before aplying for online banking.. :P

Why are you opening that things...IF I SEE that id don?t know who is the sender i delete it...except if I am ecspect that e-mail...frauds are not the problem you must be realyyy stupid to fall on it ... i remember some fraud who wanted that you send them money and they will send u back an beautiful gifth(travel to Bora Bora) i think...How can u froud to this :rolleyes::lol::(:(

I have an hotmail account and every time i send an email i get back an email from mail delivery failure...U must be awere of that to...inside is a attachment named like an e-mail that you send...when u open it :rolleyes::lol::( i once did that THANKS GOD for NOD32 !

I once lost my e-mail account before. I was playing an online Yahoo game. Someone envited me to play a game with them, so they gave me a link that was NOT yahoo, but it looked exactly like a yahoo login directory. So (foolish me), I attempted to sign in, and it took me to a page on the REAL yahoo to choose from. I was not logged in anyhow. The person used my account to simply clean out my score and apply their points to their own. It was such a low attempt, and I was very dissapointed. My main concern was to gain my login back, and change my password.

IMPORTANT PART: Ever since then, I have been clicking on the "secure" encrypted login to be sure. The one I was using, had an encrypted option, but when I clicked it, it didn't work. *HINT* *HINt*

I have recently recived a Email from "PayPal", and is clearly visibel that its not them, Dont get Folled by fake Emails, One of the Emails I Recived is:

When I recived the message GMail said:

Warning:  This message may not be from whom it claims to be. Beware of following any links in it or of providing the sender with any personal information.  Learn more.

This Information Cant Be True, I dont Even have a Paypal Account, So yeah dont get tricked!!

Has anything like this happened to yoy?

Notice from Johnny:
Fixed your quote. You just had the end tag's / backwards.

132554[/snapback]

I am very suprised tht gmail realised tha it was somone pretending to be paypal, I mean how did they even suspect!! :unsure: