xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shigajet

A Question Regarding F.a.q. Page

Hey everyone. I'm currently making a new version of my Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.) page. The old version was a quick facts table followed by a long Q and A section. Although it was a great idea/layout at the time, the downside was that there was a lot of scrolling.I'd like the new version to have a list of questions set at the side of the page, and when the user clicks on a specific question, the answer to that question appears on the main area of the page.Any suggestions are welcome!

You could ofcourse work with frames, but I do not encourage that. I prefer a system with a list of all the questions on the top of the page in an order that makes sense, maybe by category. The questions are then stated below again, with their corresponding answers. By making bookmark links at the location of the questions and answers by using the

<a name="question1"> to <a name="questionX">
and then linking to these bookmarks with the following code:
<a href="#question1" title="Question 1"> to <a href="#questionX" title="Question X">
it is very easy to navigate. To make it even more easy, include a bookmark link at the top of your faq page, at the top of the list of all your questions, for instance
<a name="#top">
and include a "top" link (to #top) at every question and answer instance.

An example of a similar frequently asked questions system (although it is called help in this instance) can be found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, which also looks very decent.