xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sunkist

Homepage Is Not Where I Want It

Hi All:Well, I finally figured out how to point my domain name to Xisto! The company I registered it with called me back and told me how to do it. She had been on vacation, which is why she hadn't called me back sooner (Maybe dot.you is pretty good after all). So now, when you type my URL it goes to the Xisto intro page.Next problem...I have my homepage in a subdirecotry called homepage. It is:homepage/homepage.htmHow do I get my homepage to load if somebody just types my URL? Do I put my homepage in a different directory? Or do I forward? Thanks all!

Go into your cpanel and click on "Manage Redirects".Choose the type of redirect you want, temp or perm.Leave the first text box empty meaning the main /WWW dir of your site, then type the url you want to pop up in the next text box.(hompage/homepage.html)Its that simple. :o

Hi:

Thanks for your quick response! I set it up, and my page looks like it is working on Xisto.

I did the URL forwarding like you sugtested. It was very easy.

Is there a way I can replace the Trap 17 page?

I would like my homepage to load when the name is typed without redirecting.

I notice Xisto does it: http://forums.xisto.com/

I want that to work for my site as well. Any suggestions?

Put your base files and folders under public_html. And I think you shouldn't use homepage.htm as the homepage of your site. Use index.htm instead of homepage.htm this may effect the link from other pages but this is how any standard website does.... since you name your file name as homepage.htm that doesn't mean that that is your homepage... you can always name a homepage to anything but since you have your own domain, domain url will be firstly directed to index.php and index.html or .htm and so on... and homepage.htm won't be recognize by browsers unless you re-direct it like you are doing right now.So, rename your homepage.htm to index.htm and don't put it under /homepage/ folder either.. put it under public_html ... and links you must rebuild them.. All the best...

Why don't you try renaming homepage.htm to index.htm? This works even with different extensions like index.php or index.html. Typing your URL automatically displays the index page. Hope I was able to help. Cheers! :o

HI:Hey thanks!! That works. Now when you type my URL, you see my homepage.Any problem with leaving a homepage directory set up? That way, if somebody clicks on "home" from within my site, they are direction to homepage/homepage.htm.Saves me having to change all the links throughout my site.Let me know if you think that there is a problem with doing it that way. Only problem I forsee is it wastes a little bit of space.

HI:

Hey thanks!! That works.  Now when you type my URL, you see my homepage.

Any problem with leaving a homepage directory set up?  That way, if somebody clicks on "home" from within my site, they are direction to homepage/homepage.htm.

Saves me having to change all the links throughout my site.

Let me know if you think that there is a problem with doing it that way.  Only problem I forsee is it wastes a little bit of space.

131668[/snapback]

That would work fine, but every time you update your index.htm you will have to also upload a copy of it re-named to homepage.htm and make sure you upload it to your /homepage directory.

It may seem like a pain, but changing the links is probably better. :lol:

OK...I will change all the links. Actually changing the links is easy, its having to go into each subdirecory and re-upload which is going to take time. But, if thats the best way to do it...so be it. Thanks for your input.