xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Goosestaf

Is Pc Gaming Going To Die>? discussion on title

I ran into a very cool and interesting discussion in the forums of a popular gaming magazine. Console and PC fanboys were arguing over a 15 page forum debate. The big question that I have brought to these forums is:With the impending release of the Next Generation Consoles (I.E. the Playstation 3 by Sony and the Xbox 2 by Microsoft), will their arrival severely cripple the PC game industry, to the point that the entire industry may collapse?It is a well known fact that consoles are much more popular than PCs in terms of gaming. This could be for many reasons; they are cheaper than gaming PCs, they are much more portable, and even the oldest 80s-vintage TV can run them. In my opinion, I think the consoles are going to have a serious impact on PC gaming-whether or not it is negative or positive I am still not sure yet...I am asking you guys your opinions on this topic.A decent video card nowadays (9800 Pro/5900 Ultra +) costs as much as a console. Consoles have lifespans of about five years or so. So while computers need updating at about every 3 or so years (and thats if you want to deal with a subpar system, a lot of people update every year or so), console gamers can keep their system without spending any more money (not counting games/controllers) for a longer period of time, and still have the top of the line console. In conclusion, updating a computer every three years is bound to cost roughyl 500-1000 dollars. Updating a console every FIVE years costs 150-200 bucks. All I know is that consols are a huge part of American mainstream life as a kid/teenager , as they probably are in other countries as well. So I dont know...so many possibilities.To me PCs are expensive to keep up to date on gamming standards and can have alot more problems than a console, but you can do so much more with a pc and theres always easy customization.i've ranted enuffDiscuss.

Hey man, i really dont thing the next gen consoles will eliminate PC gaming because they actually use the same technology. Gaming consoles push the limits of the current technology and are not upgradable where as computers use the same technology and can be upgraded.Secondly, with recent advancements in computer graphics and the release of the first ever physics chip to be used on the first computer physics card, pc gaming is going no where. These advancements might actually make the pc games better than consoles b/c of the fact that they can hold more part and more power to the unthinkableOverall, this is a debate that wont be won until the next gen systems are released and we see what happens

my guess is that you will see a consolidation between the console and computer gaming industries. When you think about it, the XBOX and the PS2 are already "just computers". XBOX uses ATI graphics cards and it has a hard drive, it can go online, etc. Look at the PS2, it has USB ports for crying out loud! You will see game consoles start to resemble computers more and more. I have not seen the PS3 but I assume it is going to be more and more like a computer. You will start to see playstation keyboards and mice because there are many games that require those to play (world of warcraft). A controller is simply not enough. Once the keyboard and mouse are added, what you have is basically a cheap comptuer.Computers have the capability to run EVERY console game on the market. Computers are faster, they have better graphics capabilities, and have many more options. The only problem is that there are many games that are developed specifically for the PS2 or XBOX and are not ported to PC until later.Remember too that compturs are also getting cheaper. You can get a very good computer (that is like 3-4 times faster than a playstation) for about 300 now. Now that LCD TV's and Plasma TV's are so popular, people will start using their TV as a computer monitor (I know many people doing this now). So, it is similar to having a game console plug into the TV.As you can see, game consoles are becoming more like computers and computers are also getting cheaper and can plug straight into TV.

I seriously don't think PC gaming's going to die out. Not for the next 10 years I think. Maybe more, who knows?I've never even purchased a console in my life. I'm sure many people out there or down here (where I'm from) haven't, either. I quite like PC games. Suppliers here tend to charge exorbitant prices for PS2 games in comparison to PC versions.The Sims for example, costs $42 (Double Deluxe) for a PC Version. You pay about $30 for the PS version and it's only the Original, without the other expansions that's included in Double Deluxe.What's the point of buying a PS when you have to pay even more? I'd rather spend the money to upgrade my PC.Just some thoughts. Situations might differ in other parts of the world.

People were probably saying the same thing about the Playstation 2 coming out.If you notice, the consols keep doing things that make them more and more like computer games. Online multiplayer is obviously the most obvious and it automatically began with pay to play.So, I think Halo 2 is like.. what.. 7 dollars a month? In 5 years, that's $420. I'm sure the prices are only going to keep climbing.Most online games are still not pay to play games, with the exception of World of Warcraft and the Everquest series.Also, the aspect of playing and interacting with many, many users (rather than just a few with consol games) is what keeps me coming to PC games. I love Diablo II. I love Warcraft III.I'm probably going to get Guild Wars when it comes out.My XBOX, however, sits there collecting dust.PC, my heart is yours.

Pc gaming will not disapear in my point of view. You state that consoles are cheap. The starting price of the next gen consoles will be high, I guess about 800 dollars or some like that. Most of the games will be ported because that is pretty cheap. lots of games are not well playable on a console like the sims.also a pc will not dissapear, the functionallity is to huge. And as long as there are pc's, games will also be available.The producents of videocards shall also push to keep creating games that push the limit of their top line graphic cards cause people are willing to pay 500 bucks for them so they can play the newest games at the highest resolution.So no pc gaming will not dissapear..

PC gaming, die? With newly developed Video Cards, monitors and Pentium 6 Processors in development for public use, WITH hundreds of game companies, big and small AND the unlimited possibility of the internet. PC games die out? I think not!

Microsoft makes an average profit from its gaming pc department, and you can't forget Steam powered, epic games, and all the Japanese RP- well, that's more Ps2 when you think of it! PC games will only die when the CPU systems/MAC systems vanish and the hundreds of PC companies decide to give up a billion dollar investment :o

So my point? PC games are here to stay as long as the CPU exists... from the basic Snake game to the new, high aged online Matrix games!

Okay, here goes:I think that yes, the PC hardware required to play the top-of-the-line games is getting quite ridiculous. To play the big hits, you're going to have to drop a good 300 and up every year. But, let's compare PCs with ConsolesProperty -- Console -- PCPrice -- 200 once -- 300 a yearGames -- limited -- unlimited (with better upgrades and such too)Life -- 5 years, max -- unlimited, but needs upgradesReliability -- very -- notWhat else am I missing? Either way, it depends on what you as an individual want. If you want a game system that will last forever, and you have money to spare, do PC games. If you want something that's reliable and relatively cheap, grab a console. Or if you have extra money and want both, get both.I don't think PC gaming will ever die, but I believe that it will eventually stall to a halt, because people aren't going to want to spend a thousand bucks a year for the latest 5gajillionMB gfx card, or the 5gajillionGhZ processor, and so PC games will get fewer and fewer enhancements, because nobody will buy the hardware they need for better enhancements. Then is when console gaming will rise, as it's cheaper and you need to upgrade a lot less.I'll always have both though, regardless of how little I get to upgrade my compy. Believe me, you do NOT want to see the results of a Run>Dxdiag on this.

Edited by Johnny (see edit history)

I honestly belive that pc gaming will never die out for a variety of reasons.1. There are genres such as rts that can not be fully enjoyed w/o a mouse and keyboard. It would be very frustrating to manage a game such as command and conquere or Age of empires using a controller.2.As stated above, current consoles and next generation consoles will and already use computer technology. Remeber that the x-box is basically a computer designed to play games.3.A RESPECTABLE portion of computer innovation (hardware, software) comes from the demand for new, better games. We had this discussion in my tech class and my teacher pointed out that the vidoe gaming industry is the driving force for new techonology.4.PC games are very popular, most good consoles games find their way on the pc eventually.What I really cant understand is how someone would ever belive that computer games would die out... Remember guys, it's true that next gen. consoles will have massive processing power, but so will computers.

I seriously doubt PC will die because of the next generation consoles.Next generation consoles will certainly be popular, just like PS2, XBOX and Gamecube gaming is now, but PC gaming will still offer a unique gaming experience in the sense that you can play great quality PC games online with so many other people. I don't think online gamers have anything to worry about.

i doubt that PC gaming will ever really die out fully i think that there will be a decrease in PC gaming but people will prefer to play their games on their PC and Computers will always have other uses like for work and the internet where as consoles only really play games and DVDs. I myself prefer console gaming to PC gaming because of how easy it is just to put a disc in rather than having to set up a game and register it and so on that has to be done on the PC.

I know personally that when i get my Playstation 3 or XBOX2 (or maybe both if i have enough money :o), i will play on them loads when i first get them, just like i did when i got my PS2, which will mean that for a little while, i won't be playing on many online games. But, when the novelty of having a new next generation console wears off, i will probably return to playing online games aswell as playing my console. In general, i can never see PC gaming dying, it is too large and varied to ever truelly die, but as some have already said, i can see there being a dip in popularity for a little bit when they are released.