xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
outlawspirit

Free Hosting Help

Basically just got my free hosting, thanks :o

i went on the website i have my domain name with http://www.registerfly.com/ and changed my nameservers to point at the ones i were given...

when i goto my site, http://outlawspirit.com/ it goes to the Xisto hosting page, thats fine... but how do i get to access my other pages i have made... what goes after the outlawspirit.com, i changed my index file and still when i goto my site i get the Xisto hosting page

any help is appreciated

It takes some time for the DNS changes to propagate, you can expect to wait up to 3 days (72 hours) for changes to take effect.

Personally, I hate cPanel. It buggered my .htaccess the other day and I had server errors and lost sleep and hair over it. :o I prefer to handcode all my pages, then upload them via FTP.I can recommend you some good programs to use. My all-time favourite is WS_FTP (either Home or Pro is fine). I think there is a 30-day trial available. I also like Crystal FTP Pro because it has this useful graph which lets you know how fast you are uploading files (ie, how much bandwidth you're using).Or you could just install something like WordPress or CMS:Blog (or is it Blog:CMS? I can't remember :D ) to handle all this stuff for you.

Okay. You mentioned you edited index.html. What do you mean by "edit"? Do you mean you created a new index of your own, or did you just make changes to the one that is already there?

And what exactly do you want visitors to see?

You might also want to take a look at the cPanel documentation http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

i went to cpanel... it had "index.html" so i edited that file with new html... now how do i access that file through outlawspirit.com ??? thats all... and also, i made an enter.php with my own html how would i get outlawspirit.com to goto that at first?

thanks

Could you pm me on MSN please? Or whichever IM you're using (my contact info's on my profile). I want to close this page, I need to finish two articles by tomorrow morning or I fail my unit.I'll post whatever the solution is later tomorrow so others will benefit.

Okay, there are several things I noticed about your site or when going to outlawspirit.com1. It redirects you to your brinkster host, meaning that the name servers on brinkster.com is not changed. To fix this, go to your cPanel, or control panel, or settings in your registerfly.com account and remove the name servers for your brinkster host. Then, enter in Xisto's name servers, ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com in your registerfly.com's control panel. The two name servers, Xisto and brinkster, are conflicting, which is why it takes you to your brinkster website. So remove the brinkster name servers in your registerfly.com's control panel and replace those with Xisto's name servers.2. To make enter.php show up when you go to outlawspirit.com, you have to complete step 1 above. Then, delete index.html in your Xisto's cPanel, and rename enter.php to index.php. Now, you're all set! :o If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to post or PM me.

ok, ill explain the brinkster part... i have the nameservers on registerfly, but i used the re-direct in the Xisto cpanel to goto brinkster until i got this problem fixed...i will try the 2nd step you had then take off the re-direct and go from there... thanksthe reason i put on the re-direct is in order to not lose my visitors

Problem solved -> thread closed.

Here is our (outlawspirit and me) private conversation that where I helped outlawspirit:

hi.. about the help...
ok i deleted index.html in my file manager and renamed enter.php to index.php and i took off the re-direct

now when i goto http://outlawspirit.com/ i still get taken to Xisto's page... take a look to see what i mean, is there anything else i should do?

thanks

My response:

I think I know your problem. Where exactly is your enter.php file in your File Manager? Is it in the public_html folder? Try putting your enter.php file in your public_html folder in your File Manager (file manager is in your cPanel).
Tell me if this works smile.gif

His response:

ok i put it in the public_html... but how do i make it so the enter.php is the main page and not index.html?
thanks

My response:

1. Rename enter.php to index.php2. Delete index.html in your public_html folder
3. Move index.php (formerly enter.php) to your public_html folder

So you should have no files named index.html in your public_html folder, but you should have an index.php file in its place. smile.gif

His response:

ive got it sorted now.. thanks for the help... its appreciated

Basically, don't worry about the index.html file that is NOT in your public_folder. It's the index.html file INSIDE your public_html folder that you should edit, delete, or rename :o