xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

phpbb question (do i need cutftp)?

Do you know? I have no idea, you'll have to answer that yourself.If you're asking if we know of one, then try filezilla. And in the future, try to use better English.

I use Terrapin FTP - you have to pay for it, but it's worth it. It does everything for you, from setting the chmod* thingy (don't know the proper name cause Terraping does it for me). It also has an amazing GUI. You can download a free trial on the web, just google it.

But yeah like CodeFX said - can't quite understand what your asking about?

*Cheers CodeFX

huh? wtf are yous talking about? I was asking if i need an ftp program to install phpbb hacks onto my forum. Im not asking for a an ftp program or a web broswer. and use better english i am american and everything but what if i wasnt? what if i just cae here from another contoury? i bet you wouldnt pay for english school so...edited: for some reasno i put "know" instead of "need".

no you dont need an ftp program to istall hacks/mods on phpBB. it can all be done through cPanels file manager. however, if the mod has a large number of files needed to upload with it (such as ADR) an ftp program makes it a lot faster

Oh ok, thanks alot. And look can smoeoen please answer this question this is the only thing i need to know on how to install phpbb mods.Ok look i will tell yous what part i know and dont so yous can accurately tell me how to do it. Ok i am having truoble with what file to edit. And where do i downlaod that file? I know you need n ftp account and a cpanel and how to edit the file i just dont know what file to edit and how to get that file and then where i have to upload it next. (i actualy have an idea at where to upload the file, i think its in the file manager, again if im wrong please correct. Ok thats all i just havent had any luck on wwho can tell me that and i would really apreciate it if someone could help me out.

In the mod package, there should be a file called install or something. You're going to need to read that. There should be VERY clear-cut instructions for installing it. Just follow them exactly, and it should be fine. If you can't find something, or need help sometime, just ask. Also, could you tell us what mod you're installing and where we could find it?

i need to isntall severeal mods, and i read the read me but it doesn help i dont know where to get the file to edit!!!! dont i need a file on my computer then i will need to edit it and then uplaod it, to the file manager? but i need that fiile to edit thats my problem im pretty sure i can figure everything else oujt myself and if not then i will ask. just thats my first problem.

not knowing exactly what mod you are trying to install, i took a clip out of the "topic desription mod" to help illustrate it.

#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------#includes/functions_post.php##-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------#function prepare_post(&$mode, &$post_data, &$bbcode_on, &$html_on,##-----[ IN-LINE FIND ]------------------------------------------#&$poll_length##-----[ IN-LINE AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------#, &$topic_desc#
this portion

#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------
#
includes/functions_post.php

tells you the file you need to edit, in this case includes/functions_post.php
so with the file manager, go to the directory you installed phpbb into, find the subdirectory "includes" find the file, and select edit file
for simplicity, i usually copy it over to a good text editor (i recommend ConTEXT), do the editing there, then copy/paste it back

bear in mind that although i only lissted 1 file there, most hacks/mods require editing several files

geancanach,. yea i know that part, but what file do i add those codes to? thats what im asking. i know all of that stuff becuase it says i just dont know where to get the file where i suppose to add thsoe codes.

if i am understanding the question corectly, then the file you add the codes to is the last file listed under an #-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------ for example, to use the clip above, you would add the code, &$topic_descimmediatly after (on the same line) &$poll_lengthon the line that begins withfunction prepare_post(&$mode, &$post_data, &$bbcode_on, &$html_on, in the fileincludes/functions_post.php

Ok i think what you thought i ment was where do i add the code like under what line. and if not then i didnt understand what you ment, but what i ment was like. i know that you have to goto for exmaple templaes/subsilver, and then add a code in there. but, what file do i need to edit as in, do i make a backup of my phpbb board ad then add the enw codes i nthere and uplaod it back up? or what? i just dont know what file it is that i have to add those codes in.and thanks for your help gean.

Just add them directly into the file that is on the server. Go to cPanel->File Manager, navigate to the file, click on it, and click Edit File in the top right. You don't need to download/upload anything.