xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

The BEST song of all time??

Most would say Stairway to Heaven. I mean, it has been the #1 song ever in like every ranking, ever. Personally, I don't see how it's possible to pick any single BEST SONG EVER. That's just silly.

Most would say Stairway to Heaven. I mean, it has been the #1 song ever in like every ranking, ever. Personally, I don't see how it's possible to pick any single BEST SONG EVER. That's just silly.

You are mis-informed. The number one spot in most of those polls is, most of the time, Bohemian Rhapsody or, sometimes, Imagine. I mean, at least in Europe.

Stairway is cool to play on the guitar, but not the best song ever, if there's such thing. I'd say that the best Popular (opposed to Classical) song ever is Bohemian Rhapsody.

Bohemian Rhapsody is huge..The best song ever is very genre specific... i mean, theres never going to be one song that is the best throughout all the genres- cos they are all different.There are some songs that will become real classics - some 90's rock, like oasis wonderwall (which for its incredible simplicity on the guitar... is known by everyone... at least in england) is ignored because its not that old... while queen - bohemian rhapsody covers the generations much better, so i dont know lol :P

Olaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! (like we say in my country, Portugal)Personally, i don't like to classify anything...But i have one song i find extraordinaryImage, John Lennon

You're mistake luigi...the most "popular" song is Happy Birthday.  Everyone knows it and it is sung by thousands of voices a day :D

:P:D Very true, very true. But this is about the *best*, not the most popular...

Thinking of it, it's really idiot to select a song as THE best... but what the hell, people are always trying to establish a number one for anything, even for your toilet paper or something :D

cbc did a list for the best songs of the 20th century. These were their top five

Imagine - John Lennon

In my life - The Beatles

Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

With or Without You - U2

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

the entire list is here.

My personal favourite is either Echoes or Art of the Fuge(sp?). By Pink Floyd and Bach respectiviely.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news

awww.... they used to be #1 of all time all the time....

but here's some data from "Sandy" which is still very recent. #1 in december of 2004 (albeit from some radio station i've never heard of)

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Here's a nice article about stairway..

http://www.superseventies.com/stairway.html
excerpt:
Stairway to Heaven" remains the biggest-selling sheet music in the history
of rock. An average hit sells 10,000 to 15,000 copies. "Stairway to Heaven"
has sold more than one million copies.

excerpt:
Station #1 Song, 1991
------- -------------
WNOR Norfolk, Virginia "Stairway"
WEBN Cincinnati "Stairway"
WGRX Baltimore "Hey Jude"*
WFXF Indianapolis "Stairway"
KLSK Albuquerque "Stairway"
WMYG Pittsburgh "Stairway"
KLSX Los Angeles "Stairway"
KGON Portland, Oregon "Stairway"**
*"Stairway" was number three.
**This song has been number one in this market for years. Desperate for
variety, Bob Ancheta, KGON music director, played a prank on the faithful in
1989, dropping the song to number two. Outraged listeners tied up the phones
with complaints for hours.

yep... linkity link link link.

btw the stairway album sold ten times platinum. 10 million copies..

Thanks for doing your googling, wangsoft, it looks like you have a lot of free time! I recommend you do the same with Bohemian Rhapsody, and check what this song has achieved, as I can't be arsed to do it - it's too much stuff. Probably one worth mentioning the Best British Single of All Time, by the Guiness World of Records. Not as good as all those polls from north-american radios, I reckon, but what the heck... You'll see that THIS side of the Atlantic (as I've stated in my post)BoRhap ranks much better than Stairway in generic polls. Don't get me wrong, I DO like Stairway To Heaven, know the guitar from begin to end, but even inside the Led Zeppelin catalogue are much better songs. It's a great great tune, but isn't genius, like BoRhap. It's like comparing Verdi's "Spring" to Bach's "Tocatta and Fugue in D Minor".Cheers :P