xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Donegal

Call Me Ignorant..but... Name some adventure games..

You want a good source for adventure games? Go to [url="http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Exellent site.

As for your list...

Myst - This is probably the best-known adventure game, along with it's very well done and just a popular sequel Riven. Other sequels include Myst III: Exile and the upcoming Myst IV: Revelation. URU, which was released a year ago, is a game that is based in the Myst world but not following the same plotline.

Syberia & Syberia II - Two very good, very beautiful adventure games that have made a very big splash in the industry. They came out fairly recently. I haven't personally met anyone who has played Syberia and hates it.

The Monkey Island Series - A hilarious four-part (and hopefully continuing) adventure series by LucasArts that follows the adventures of Guybrush Threepwood, who wants to become a pirate. Extremely funny and a slapstick type way.

Broken Sword - Another series (I'm making all adventures sound like series. eep.) which is funny, but in much more of a subdued way. The first two games (Shadow the the Templars (European Name) / Circle of Blood (US Name) and The Smoking Mirror) are shaded cel animation, and the newest (The Sleeping Dragon) is in full 3D.

Grim Fandango - Another LucasArts adventure. My second favorite game of all time. Should be required playing for anyone who professes themselves to be into computer games. You're a skeleton in the Land of the Dead, who is working off his debt to the Powers That Be by selling travel packages. It's a combination of Maya, Art Deco, and Film Noir styles. While the game is often humerous, it has a very touching storyline and great gameplay.

The 7th Guest - A rather famous horror adventure. Campy acting and a somewhat predictable storyline, but good puzzles and gameplay.

The Legend of the Prophet and the Assassin - A very good but highly under-rated adventure. You play a fallen Knight Templar in the 13th century. Good character animation for the time it was made and interesting storyline. (I'm sorry, this is my third favorite game, and I must plug it.)

So, that should start you out well. Despite how mass media and gaming mags ignore the adventure gerne, it is still strong and looking good for the future.

My favorites that I'll never forget:

Gabriel Knight : Sins of the Fathers

Gabriel Knight : The Beast Within

Gabriel Knight : Blood of the Sacred; Blood of the Damned

by Sierra

and

Temujin : A Supernatural Adventure

by Southpeak

what adventure D&D nothing except console games can beat thatNWNThe temple of elemental evila few billion rpgs

What, Michael? *blink* Adventure games, not RPGs...

And thanks, rowita! I can't belive I forgot the Gabriel Knight series. Those are some very good games. Temujin is awesome. Despite the small screen size and the blurriness of the picture, it still is nice to look at. And the FMV is cool. There's another Southpeak which uses the same interactive video engine at Temujin, but I can't remember the exact name. I think it may be called Dark Side of the Moon, but I'm not sure. I haven't been able to find it.

And I forgot to mention the Journeyman games. They are a series of older adventure games, also published by Sierra. I haven't played any of them yet, but they used to be quite well known. I'm trying to find the Trilogy to buy.

There are also a good deal of free, online adventure games. One of the most well-known is The Mystery of Time and Space, which is a very fun flash adventure. The storyline is sketchy, but it has fun puzzles and humor.

Wow! You guys forgot Quest for Glory 5!That was one of the best adventure games made since the begining of time.Okay okay...anyway, its a nice game. Altohugh it was released a few years back, its graphics are not that bad.Its published by Sierra.Happy gaming

I have never played the Quest for Glory games, although I would very much like to. Alas that Sierra doesn't make adventures anymore.I love the older games. There's just something about them and I really enjoy. It's too bad that you can hardly find most of them anymore, except for outrageously priced on eBay. Especially ones from the FMV craze.

The myst collection is great also is syberia. I only dont like Myst 4 Uru. The gameplay is different. Its not the old classic stuff anymore. I havent played syberia 2 but im gonna search for it soon. Syberia was just great!Greats Timmik