xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
neeki4444

Jsp Help

JSP and Tomcat bring load on the server and they got to be activated. If you require it, we will activate it for you. You need the BETA account for that.

Hi;My two cents re. JSP:Remember now, JSP is actually servlets... in the end everything you write in your JSP file will get compiled and executed as a servlet.So you need to think about what your code wants to do, and then maybe consider coding your own servlet.roughly, I would say that JSP is good if you have a text-intensive app, outputting alot of different stuff with necessary decisions etc..if on the other hand you are doing alot of "hidden" logic, then maybe you will have an easier/better time of it with servlets.best regards,- arp

anybody know how I can use the JSP what Xisto provides?

I have a level 1 account, with 20mb of space. However I can't seem to locate a folder for tomcat or JSP option in Cpanel.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am also considering a JAVA/Mysql site hosted on this server.

A couple questions....

I do have tomcat running on my own machine (though I can't get a static IP and so can't serve pages directly from it to the web.). I have succesfully developed JSP's and servlets on this setup, however.

Is it possible to compile JSP's into servlets, and then just upload the resulting files to the Xisto server (and redo this every time the JSP changes)? Compiling JSP's does impose a load and I might end up doing it pretty often.....

As to the debate between manually entering servlets and using JSP's - I am kind of new to this so I'm not really an expert. But I have found it easiest to use beans (not Enterprise beans) or non-bean utilitiy classes for the "hidden" or business logic. I call these classes directly from the JSP's and from custom tags. I did use a combination of scriptlet-laden JSP's and servlets for my first web-app. It worked, but as it got bigger it became an unmaintainable, complex and hard-to-understand mess. In my current project, seperating the business logic and presentation seems to be working much better.