xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Succession Plan - way premature but still good topic

admin wrote:

since we do not know how long we will stay.

I am hoping it will be for a long time but

anybody who's done anything on the web knows that a long time can be a few months, I hope it's much more.

The Aboriginal arts community has been kicked around by web hosts and by institutions hosting them for projects and kicking them off right after and not providing any support and moving their sites around and not giving passwords etc. etc. etc.

I don't want this to happen to my peeps that I start working with. I want them to have trust that I will look out for them and make arrangements to keep going in case something should happen.

A succession plan is like when your boss realizes you won't be around forever and makes plans to have training and alternatives for a new person should it become necessary - hopefully not but wise people look ahead and have plans for most likely situations - like change.

Can we as a whole community look at a succession plan? I am as an individual, but keeping the community together is very cool too.

Please this is meant with greatest respect and hope that we can just keep going like we are, but wise people...

I think that this is a good idea.I've never thought of it - i've just always accepted that free hosts died and others had to be found.I cant think how one would work..i mean, either a back up somewhere is set up for us - in which case we need an awful lot of expense on a spare, and currently unused host - which is a waste.... or the specs are dropped dramatically to save expense, causing this host to no longer be so good.....Or perhaps we could set up a donation/one time fee scheme - to raise the funds for a succession / to ensure backed up and temporary accomodation for our sites in the event of a disaster?Perhaps we could keep a small list of the best alternative freehosts to go to if this one day fails...to save on the searching....Just my 2 cents..

i also hope this will b for longer period (read: as many years as posible) couse our admin looks like good and honest person, what i cant say for other ppl that run free hosts all around internet.all i can do to help is to spread the word around, vote for FNH wherever i can, ill also put a link on my site, <- snipped -> ads... ect...if some1 can think of something more it would b great..admin knows best... why dont we let him tell us what he needs?give us some suggestions and im shure many of us will do it.}

This is very cool. Didn't know what to expect with this topic. I think the main thing is to have a group of committed peeps who will throw in whatever's needed if something happens. This means each having a center/centre of communication outside of FNH and being willing to do all the work that it takes to answer alot of messages if something does happen. It also means the closest collab. with admin to be sure you're not BSing out peeps. An emergency preparedness network.Maybe more to the point is to support admin with whatever help we can, get your family and peeps to donate to FNH. Put FNH donate links on your email. Send in your bottles 8) and old bongs etc. admin - what can we do?FNH peeps, who's good to step up?

good start would b support... maybe to select few knowlegable ppl in all time zones and make some chat room with live support...so if admin makes special forum here with answers to most questions (this will fill itself) only visible to those ppl... they will, whenever they can b online on that chat noted as support ppl and help others or give them info they need.this will b greatest thing for this host... live support :P... damn good :P if that happend i can b there like 2-3 hours/day, but will need that secret forum for some info about what i can say or cant.. and some prepared answers.. ect..what do u think? admin?

i can host the chat rooms, as i own an irc network...

[12/11/2004 11:08:40 PM] -Alaska.winbots.net- There are 74 users and 202 invisible on 11 servers [12/11/2004 11:08:40 PM] -Alaska.winbots.net- 10 operator(s) online [12/11/2004 11:08:40 PM] -Alaska.winbots.net- 80 channels formed [12/11/2004 11:08:40 PM] -Alaska.winbots.net- I have 13 clients and 10 servers [12/11/2004 11:08:40 PM] -Alaska.winbots.net- Current Local Users: 13  Max: 113 [12/11/2004 11:08:40 PM] -Alaska.winbots.net- Current Global Users: 276  Max: 841

if you want to start a channel, you are more then welcome to :P
like #fnh or #f.n.h. or even #freenukehosting, all those are available :P

not irc :Pproblem is that ppl wont bother to go to irc... they wanna simple stuff... like click on a link and ask question :Pso easy looking and 2 click entering chatroom is best choice

you mean something like:Click Here To Enter Chat Room

and, the simple truth is over 1 million ppl are on indexed irc networks right now...

hahaha, u just have to push it :P
i like irc.. and am using it alot for some other things.

but this time some simple chat is needed... jmaybe java chat or whatevr.. thats up to admin.

OT: that site of yours is damn too graphical.. for slower internet connection its killing.. im on 64/64 only and its allmost imposible to open it

I think these are all good ideas! - i think we definately need to encourage donations to keep it all up and running.Oh and Winbots, do you use firefox? I've been looking for the plugins that will show those java things for ages but havnt been able to get them working! - i'd be greatful if you had any ideas :D