xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
OpaQue

Domains, Settings, Blah Blah! Etc. Read This!

QUESTION ASKED TO ME A LOT OF TIMES :::

I have registered for the uni.cc domain name and i have also pointed the DNS to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com but up till now, my website which i uploaded to my Xisto /www directory isnt showing. I dont know what have gone wrong. And what else do i need to do?

I have tried to add the domain (http://www.odowebdesigns.uni.cc/) to add-on domains or parked domains as spectre told me to do but it refused registering the domain telling me that the domain name is been used by another user and therefore cannot be created.

What else do i need to do? and what exactly is domain forwarding and domain redirection? Please help me witth these anwsers cos i am getting more and more confused as time goes by.

Thank you once again for hosting my site and for all the help you have been rendering to me. I am grateful. biggrin.gif

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXX

============= ANSWER ===============================

If you have registered a domain and pointed it to Xisto. ( By specifying the Nameservers to NS1.TRAP17.COM and NS2.TRAP17.COM ) then please wait for 1-2 days ! Its not in my hand to propagate the domains. The filthy internet is sooo ****in slow. Any changes you make in it will take atleast 2 days for it to propagate around the globe! for somereason at my place it takes about 6 hours only! But I have seen some members where it takes about 2 days or more. You may use proxy servers (the ones on which you have never requested your site to access your domain ). The servers where you have already accessed it, Caches it and it takes more time. May be My ISP does not CACHE stuff, so the results are visible in 6 hours or so.

Another thing, please don't bug me for this reason as you can always check it at your place. Use the following command :-

PING YOURDOMAIN.COM -t

Check the IP address that is returned by the program. It should be something like 64.69.46.210.( ***edit made 3-12-06 by jlhaslip*** ) When you see this , this means that your domain has been propagated successfully.

===============::WHERE TO UPLOAD FILES ::==================

First of all, know what an FTP is. If you dont know it. Download FTP client software like CuteFTP (which I use ) , WSftp etc.. Enter your domain name and your username and password and click connect.

Once CONNECTED, You can see the folders on your servers. Since this is a nice Cpanel based hosting! We have many directories. Even though you may use only one of them : WWW

UPLOAD ALL YOUR FILES IN "WWW" DIRECTORY!!!!!!

The other directories are used to store your settings and back up files.

================ SECOND ANSWER =======================-

>the domain name is been used by another user and therefore cannot be created.<

You can get this error message in ADDON or PARKED domain if someone has already added this domain in addon or parked domain option in Cpanel. I mean, Someone on the same server. The possible reason is, you must have registered 2 accounts on Xisto (ggrrr.. which I hate ) and added it on your other account!

But the source of this error is the same! The domain your trying to add has already

been added by someone else.. umm... Try complaining to FBI if you thing someone has tricked you.

Something Else (added by Dooga): If your domain has not propergated yet, this will also display, especially those slow uni.cc ones.

==============QUESTION================================

What else do i need to do? and what exactly is domain forwarding and domain redirection? Please help me witth these anwsers cos i am getting more and more confused as time goes by.

===============ANSWER================================

Domain Forwarding. And domain redirection.

I dont know these technical terms. But there are two ways you can do it.

Addon Domains work in a master way or something. As soon the request is recieved, In the IP ADDRESS level (basically by reading the request headers of the client ) they tell the server fetch that domain from the server and send it to client.

FORWARDING :

This is like kids play and every can easily make out that it is forwarding. The browser URL address changes. This type of forwarding takes time. First the request is sent to your domain. and then your domain again redirects it. Just like the HTML redirection.

[ Any more QUESTIONs, BUG my administrators and moderators ]

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Once you buy a domain name.
- Point the DNS to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com. you should make that normally in the place where you buy the domain. I made that for example in godaddy.
- Wait until is propagated.
- Add the domain you just bought. In "Parked Domains".
- You new Domain should point now to your home directory. That it is to say: /www

You bought another domain and you want to point it to a sub-folder. Let say: /www/second
- Got to "Add on domains"
- Enter the new domain
New Domain Name: http://www.cyberfinder.com/
UserName/SubDomain Name: second.mizako.trap17.com
pwd: a_pwd (i do not know exactly why you have to enter a pwd here)
- You second Domain should point to /www/second

Ok, thanks. But I am still stuck at pointing it to trap 17.When I go to the site I registered my domain at (DOT.YOU) they have a DNS area.Ttey have a table, and I am suppose to enter what I want.The fields in the table are:Hostname Address Record Type Meta Tags MX Pref Under "Record Type" I have the following choices: Address URL Frame URL Redirect MXE MX CNAMECurrently, I use the followinghost name: WWWaddress: members.cox.net..Record type: URL frameWhich field do I use to point it at Xisto.And if somebody wants to volunteer to walk me thru this in Yahoo messanger...I would be more than happy to do it in PM.

If I move to a paid account, can I carry with me my the free domain i currently have here? I just dont want to have to go around updating the address to enter my ftp space since that would create a lot of dead links.