xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Stanley Kubrick

I think he's great, his vision is superbI love some of his movies coz i just seen some, LOLLike 2001:Space Odyssey really open my eyes, dun think anyone can adapt and direct it better. It just so good that i have to say it makes Godfather, Lord of the Rings and any other classic movies look overrated coz i could not find any other movies that can match to its standard.Hey, it's made in the 60s and it always looks like a new movie to me.Clockwork Orange is good too, I love the whole brainwash idea, heheheAnd The Shining, I love it but it never really freaks me out as it does to a lot of people around me.

How old are you? You sound really young.

What do you mean when you laugh and say some of his movies?

Oh wait, I get it. You say you like some because some is all you've seen. Clever!

You're true about Lord Of The Rings, a classic like 2001: A Space Odyssey which was even made fourty years ago with no special effects. Its way huger in scope and magnitude.

Personally; Stanley Kubrick is one of my favourite directors. The first film of his that I watched (2001 as it actually goes) absolutely solidified my respect for him. I followed up on this by watching what I could of his...mainly The Shining; Full Metal Jacket and of course A Clockwork Orange.After watching "Clockwork", I just had to admire him. His eye for visually telling the story alongside the actual script is amazing. The "slightly" :roll: musical manevolence of Malcolm McDowell (too many M's) is brilliant to watch. Who else could have a scene kicking the life out of someone while singing "Singing in the Rain".Sick as it was,...it was beautiful. :P

Well, here's something I bet you might not have known. Malcolm McDowell sung "Singing In The Rain" because it was the only song he knew all the words to! haha

Those movies you have mentioned The Shining; Full Metal Jacket and of course A Clockwork Orange. They are the ones everyone watches!

Not many people mention Barry Lyndon or you know, anything. But his movie The Killing it is really awesome! Its way old in black and white, but I dont have a thing with black and white. Some people are allergic to it, but I think its cool.

Well, here's something I bet you might not have known. Malcom McDowell sung "Singing In The Rain" because it was the only song he knew all the words to! haha

Those movies you have mentioned The Shining; Full Metal Jacket and of course A Clockwork Orange.  They are the ones everyone watches!

Thanks for the quirky info on "Clockwork". :lol:

As for mentioning the above films I didn't particularly have time to list every last frigging one. Also at the time (about 5-6 years ago) I didn't exactly have complete access to Kubricks entire collection; I heavily relied upon my uncle's video collection:roll:. Other's that I've seen include Eyes Wide Shut; which is a fairly good film although not entirely my cup of tea; also Dr. Strangelove quite took me by surprise. I didn't think it would have been as good.

The Killing, I've only seen the once; and as far as I know I'm not allergic to it...Trivia for you my friend Gohst. Did you know that Sterling Hayden is in both The Killing and Dr. Strangelove?

Do not overlook Lolita; but again it's not everyone's cup on tea.

:roll:

OK OK yeah, I want you to know I wasn't being angry. I was just saying they're his more commonly viewed ones.

Yes, Dr. Strangelove OR: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb would, could never be paralelled by any other director. At any time on set, Kubrick had over 60 books all detailing nuclear weaponry. His research alone into the topic of his films belittles any other director. For Eyes Wide Shut he took photos of nearly every door in England, just so he could have the right "hooker door". I mean its staggerinng.

I didn't mean allergic to The Killing, what I said there was basically something Peter Jackson said when he was talking about his King Kong remake, he said he was updating it etc for a bunch of people who are allergic to black and white movies. Referring to all us teens who cant get enough of Torque or XXX or The Scorpion King :? but I hate all of those. The old films had class.

Anyway, I didn't know that about The Killing, but I'm sure its not all hidden away. But here is something you should know: When the studios saw it, they hated the time shifting so they ordered it all to be put in chronological order. The result being, its more confusing when in order! So they said "OK" and put it all back in place!

Oh, and one more thing, I saw Lolita and I have to say, its his worst movie. :cry: I've seen nearly all of them, and that one... its just like any other 1950's movie. I got the feeling any schlub could have directed it. Well thats my two cents on Lolita.

I didn't mean allergic to the killing, what I said there was basically something Peter Jackson said when he was talking about his King Kong remake, he said he was updating it etc for a bunch of people who are allergic to black and white movies. Referring to all us teens who cant get enough of Torque or XXX or The Scorpion King  :?  but I hate all of those. The old films had class.

Oh, and one more thing, I saw Lolita and I have to say, its his worst movie.  :cry:  I've seen nearly all of them, and that one... its just like any other 1950's movie. I got the feeling any schlub could have directed it. Well thats my two cents on  Lolita.

At least your honest about your opinions. Like I said Lolita isn't everyone's cup of tea.

I know you weren't angry :P, it's ok. I just wanted to continue a bit of Kubrick discussion with someone who at least knows his films :). Not many people I can talk to around home about these things.

As for XXX, Torque, etc...don't even mention them in the same post as some of the classics. Personally I hate the fact that everything has been watered down in the last few years to cater for those of us who can't be arsed actually using our brains in a film. It's making it crap for the rest of us film lovers who want something with a bit more bite to it. (Perhaps Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula :lol:...sorry bad joke)

Just as a wee note. (You aren't a James Cameron fan are you?)

Like I said Lolita isn't everyone's cup of tea.

You like it? I cant beleive that. You're the first person I've ever met.

Most actually consider it a blemish on his career. And me, personally, I just kept thinking through it "What were you thinking ... What was he thinking" I was astonished he could make something so blah.

As for XXX, Torque, etc...don't even mention them in the same post as some of the classics

I know! I felt bad for even writing it. At one point I considered deleting all of it. About those movies.

And yeah I am a little fan of Cameron meaning I like Terminator 2: Judgement Day but I cant often remember anything else he's done. And thanks alot, you've got the song from the credits of Terminator 2: Judgement Day stuck in my head. Damn 80's rock 'n' roll..

:lol:, Guns "N" Roses...my job is complete.As for Lolita, I don't exactly love it, it's alright. Not one of my favourites.I am a self appointed Cameron fanatic. Surely you have seen some of his films; you just maybe don't know it?T:2 is a marvel; in fact I might just watch it again tonight. Some people say that the whole father figure sub-plot destroys it but I think that's crap. As a whole, the film is more than an epic; and the special effects. :shock:XXX and Torque could learn a thing or two about shooting action scenes from films like this. Cameron always has a nack for shooting action with great dialogue cut into it. I'd put forward, Terminator and Aliens to back up this claim. In both films he used tense action to make the explanations of all the "how time travel is done" and "scientific talk" seem less well, (by his own admision) boring. I especially love the point in Terminator where Reece is driving Sarah away from Tech-Noir and he's pretty much shouting out the dialogue while attemting to drive the car at about 60mph+. I never noticed exactly how much more I paid attention to what he was saying until I watched the feature on Cameron talking about how to explain all about the time travel.He did the same to a lesser extent with Titanic, lots of dialogue but threaded in action along the lines to keep the conversations and the storyline moving. I'd also suggest his other films The Abyss, Point Break (Producer) and True Lies

Ah yes True Lies, you should have said Arnold Schwarzenegger and I would have been with you on page 1. :wink:

Its a fantastic movie! I also like Last Action Hero but everyone hates it! And in all the documentaries I see of him, I never see them mention Jingle All The Way and I have no idea why! (ps Total Recall is by far and away his best movie, Paul Verhoeven directing).

Anyway back to James Cameron, and I have to say I saw Aliens and it bored me so deeply. I could not stand it really. I was actually amazed at how totally uninteresting it was.

You said: "As for Lolita, I don't exactly love it, it's alright. Not one of my favourites." I was wondering, it sounds like you like one of Stanley Kubrick's movies less than Lolita, please tell my which one, and why!

Arnie kicks *bottom*, you can see why Cameron loves him so much. People say he can't act, but I think he's pretty underated for his performances comic or otherwise.As for Aliens, I wouldn't expect everyone to like it; but it's my favourite film. I feel that the direction is superb by Cameron; as well as the effects.I don't have any Kubrick films I don't like...I just don't think Lolita is that bad; I don't hate it. But I don't love it.

Yeah too true brother. Arnold Schwarzenegger was my first ever favorite actor. Terminator 2: Judgement Day, Total Recall, Conan The Barbarian definately with John Milius directing way awesome. Predator, Running Man, Eraser, boy oh boy oh boy!

I dont love Lolita either. But its just not very good. Its definately not as good as a Stanley Kubrick movie could be, and its definatly less good than another director could have done. I say that with sadness.

I feel like I have to finish up here with something else, so I'll say that Starship Troopers was a damn cool movie.