xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

computers

You seem to have confused an operating system with an actual computer.Anyways you should have a choice in there for self-built computers, as I'm sure many people on this site, including me, have built their own comp rather than buying one pre-built from dell, gateway, hp, alienware, etc, etc.

mmm If you don't like brand PC's? What then? heheI build my pc myself :)

Me too, but i voted 'Windows' :lol:

And eh Jake_101, can you show me a pic of a Windows pc?

Build the machine to suit your needs we have several computers but our server is a bp6 mother board running dual celeron 433 chips with heaps of ram. The bios has been modified but this machine runs server2003ent with no probs and this cost not much more than 200 dollars some time ago though.You have to know what you want to use the machine for before you build it.Our other computers are only 500mhz athlons which cost stuff all but still out perform newer machines with a faster processor because the frontside bus is not properly matched to the other hardware. The only bad thing with using older machines is the amount of ram they can hold its limited in some cases.Check on line for not the newest stuff but stuff that came out a year or so ago it will be much cheeper than buying latest technology.Tom :lol:

Hi Tom.

our server is a bp6 mother board running dual celeron 433 chips with heaps of ram. The bios has been modified but this machine runs server2003ent with no probs

I have a couple of questions.
Why celeron in a server? and what do you mean when you say "the bios has been modified"

pick your favorite computer please vote

yeah, self built with 2gig of ram, 300gig HDD, 3.0processser....etc top of the line lol 8)

"that's what I want :D "

none of the above i build CPU's and as far as windows goes im waiting for longhorn to come out but that wont be till around 2006 hopefully maybe within the new year coming up 8)

Hi Tom.

our server is a bp6 mother board running dual celeron 433 chips with heaps of ram. The bios has been modified but this machine runs server2003ent with no probs

I have a couple of questions.
Why celeron in a server? and what do you mean when you say "the bios has been modified"

Celeron chips were only $20. this machine was built 5 years ago intel and microsoft did not want celeron chips used for this purpose. I did it because I could and we were only using nt4 as an operating system at the time.
When it was built its combined processing made it the fastest thing around at that time.
The bios has been rewritten to remove bugs and the scsi interface was upgraded it can now run faster p3 proceesors the company no loger supports the board

The fsb can be wound up to overclock the processors.
If they were going to be destroyed I did not want to waste a lot of money.
The machine still operates today and runs server2003ent with no probs.
basicly it was an experiment overclocking was the thing back then and thats what I used to experiment with.
With the changes in technology the machine is obselete I keep in running out of curiosity.

Check out http://www.bp6.com/board/index.php
this website is dedicated to these boards.
Let me know what you think
Tom

Fair enough. I had a look at the link. There's a lot of info there, I have to return later.The overclocking frenzie happened at a time when I had very little money so I simply couldn't run the risk with my only mobo/cpu. These days computers are so cheep that I can't be bothered.Some older computers are actually very good. I still have a 200mmx 128 mb, running 98. Bootup ca 25 sec shutdown ca 5 sec. I use it mainly for an old game that won't run under newer OS'.