xisto Community
odomike

My Domain website aint showing...please heellppp!! I am in trouble...OOHHHH

I recently designed and uploaded a webpage which i intend to use as my homepage (still under designing) in my website (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) and which was hosted by Xisto. i have uploaded the page and all files associated with it into my /www and /public_html directory and still my website aint showing up in the internet.

When i was using Netfirms free subdomain web hosting, I normally just upload to my /www directory and the page shows up immediately, but this time around I did the same thig and nothing happens.

i also tried to add it as an addon domain to my hosted website but i keep on getting THE SUBDOMAIN CANNOT BE CREATED i have tried everything withi my power to make the page dispplay but all to no avail. if i try to v iew it thru the show page in my file manager or ftp client (view files), it shows up but with no graphics whatever on it. whenever i type in the website url http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ into my browser address bar and press enter (on my keyboard) i get an msn autosearch page telling me that the domain name does not exist.

I dont know what else to do. I need that website and i need it badly. If there is anything i will need to do to make it start functioning propally, please tell me cos i am getting***** about the website.

At which port sm i supposed to connect my ftp client? port 21?

PLease also give me a detailed proceedure for setting up my DNS servers or adding an addon domain and if i can host other websites (for example http://www.nero.com/eng/index.php?vlang=gb).

YOUR HELP IS REQUIRED PLEASE Dont let me die in my anguish.

Thanks.

Anxiously waiting for you replies and suggestions..

If you added your domain to your Trap 17 hosting account, then you have to upload it to the sub-directory under public_html which was assigned to that domain name - eg. '/public_html/odowebdesigns-com'.If you park it with your account, then the top-level corrosponds to your domain - so everything in 'public_html' would be accessible from the domain name.Make sure that the domain name is registered, and the DNS' are set to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com (primary and secondary, respectively).I am unable to access the domain odowebdesigns.com at all, so I'm assuming it isn't properly set-up/configured yet.If you want, I can add it int your cPanel for you if you aren't sure how to do it.And one more thing - you can't just add a domain under cPanel, and then it will work. For example, you couldn't just go in and add 'microsoft.com', and then own the microsoft.com domain. You need to have previously registered it with a valid domain registrar (I know that might sound obvious to some, but not everyone is aware of this).

ok thanks very much for your contribution sceptre. but isnt there any way you can explain the whole procedure to me so that i can do it myself and dont have to worry anyone again?I will be very grateful to you if you can explain everything to me so that i can do everything myself.thanks once again for your help.

Ok, first of all, you need to register the domain 'odowebdesigns.com'. A WhoIs shows that it isn't even registered yet - in other words, it doesn't exist. At all. Anywhere.

After you have registered it with an acredited registrar, set the DNS' (Domain Name Server's) to ns1.trap17.com and ns2.trap17.com (primary and secondary, respectively). It generally takes about 24 hours (give or take) for the DNS configuration to fully propagate, so you'll have to wait about that long before you can move on.

Then and only then can it be used by you. You can't just decide that you want any old top-level domain name, and then go and add it in your control panel - it doesn't quite work like that. Imagine if it did - no one would be able to hold a domain name, and people would just add wherever and whenever they wanted.

One good, cheap, and reliable registrar you might consider is GoDaddy - they provide them for around $6 to $10 a year (USD).

Spectre, i understand the way you feel about my silence after you explained everything about the domain name registration to me. it wasn't as if i ignored you. i never did that. the reason why i wasn't able to reply was due to the fact that i fell sick during the weekend and wasn't able to use my comp. i am very very sorry about that. but i am ok now. and back to Xisto. i hope you understand sceptre and please dont take it personal. I never meant it to be that way. ok? Cos i still need your help more.Thanks once again for taking your time to help me. I am very grateful.

thanks for understanding too hot. it wasnt a deliberate act for me to ignore sceptre like that. i never meant to and have never thought of doing that anyway.

thats good to hear. by the way, does anyone wanna go into partnership with me? PM me if you are interested.

Hi, I uploaded my files with ftp to my www folder and it works. Is it the same to upload into the public_html folder than to the www folder?Or both?

but it is better to upload straight into your /www directory as that one is normally easier and more accessible for most ftp clients. uploading into both the /www and /public_html will be taking double the amount of space the files should have taken.Either you upload into /www or you upload into /public_html and not both

As wassie just said, the 'www' directory is just a shortcut to the 'public_html' directory. So uploading it into 'www' will send it to 'public_html'. It doesn't matter which one you use, the files still end up in the same place.