xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shigajet

Annexation / Amalgamation - Good Or Bad? Is it good or bad if cities/towns merge into a larger city?

Recently, several cities and towns join together to make a larger city in.order to make public services more efficient. To list a few examples:In 1998, Toronto became a megacity (and the term they used for this is alamalgamation), where many of the boroughs within Metro Toronto joined to make a large single government for the whole city. Same thing happened to Hamilton.Same thing has been happening in Japan, too. In Shiga prefecture (where I live), at least 5 "new" cities have been made (through what they termed "annexation") over the past year and more will be on the way.So what do you think - is annexation/amalgamation good or bad for a municipality for both the short and long term?

Recently, several cities and towns join together to make a larger city in.order to make public services more efficient. To list a few examples:

In 1998, Toronto became a megacity (and the term they used for this is alamalgamation), where many of the boroughs within Metro Toronto joined to make a large single government for the whole city. Same thing happened to Hamilton.

Same thing has been happening in Japan, too. In Shiga prefecture (where I live), at least 5 "new" cities have been made (through what they termed "annexation") over the past year and more will be on the way.

So what do you think - is annexation/amalgamation good or bad for a municipality for both the short and long term?

71129[/snapback]

In Nebraska just recently, (meaning 2 or 3 months ago) Omaha, aned I think Elkhorn tried to join. I was against it, and that is what happenned. I think joining towns is bad, because it can come too coplicated and unorganized.

The fire and police departments may have trouble finding were they need to go.

The streets may be couwded, and it is rushhour every second ofn the day.

Not to mention the polution, :) .

How do you find this plan?Uniting together as human beings. Treating Earth as a country. Countries as states. States as cities. And trying to dominate other planets instead of fighting among each other.Internet keeps this world connected. We can now think alike.. and also communicate easily. I wonder whats keeping everything soo scattered. And now they want to join.

I would think having more smaller comunities, would be better that a big one.With a small town, you know everyone, there isn't as much crime and things. It is like a perfect life.

If the communites are are joining together to help one another than thats a good thing. Like in the education department and crime that needs inprovment on and help from toher cities. So we can elimate problems faster. Soem cities won't join because they want their own identity. I agree witht that too. Whatever is best for the community is best.

Thanks for the feedback. Speaking of town/city mergers, I just moved into a newly created city last month. Since the total population is around 50,000 in a fairly large area, it doesn't look any different than when it was two separate towns. I do see some new stores and single family homes are being built in my area, though. Traffic hasn't really been a problem so far, although that may change in the future. There was talk of a new big department store that will be built within walking distance of my new place.